Windrider30

Wood Grain Look...would Be Bracer

Ok this is the very first time I have used this craft aid from Tandy...relax I know half of you think Tandy is in coohoots with the devil...I got out with just promising them my first born...suckers I had a vasectomy when I was 20 mahahah!!! Anyways here is what I have come up with..let me tell you its a lot of frigging work using the swivel knife and then deciding what to bevel what not to..how to shade the knot holes...still I think it turned out ok...honest thoughts and or improvements please and thank you.

post-54720-0-05858200-1440481727_thumb.j

That is the look I am going for.

That's a lot of work! I like blending of deep cuts with the lighter cuts. Good job.

That going to look pretty cool as a bracer, it will look like you are wearing hollow logs. I want to see it when it's assembled and on an arm.

What was the process you used and the dyes to get the look you have achieved. I talking colors , get the swivel knife part and beeline from the picture.

I used a slightly damp spounge and tandy's Eco flow medium brown antiquie gel. Just covered the hell out of the piece, then took a second spongue and hit the whole piece with water to get all the extra dye off until I was happy with the color turned out pretty good, and I will finish this piece today, think I will just use the old eyelites and lace to close the bracer off. As for the process to get the design its a craft-aid from Tandy, the craft aid actualy has two other textures on it, bought it really just for the wood textrue. I enjoy using the anquites on this project figured it would really get deep into the lines.

by the by thinking of using that texture for a messenger bag what you all think?

Thanks for sharing how you did it. A wooden bag? Barn board leather works.

For anyone that wants to get the craft aid:

https://www.tandyleather.com/en-usd/home/76634-00.aspx

and Oldtoolsniper I am thinking leather bag but using the texture of the wood on it.

Ok leather bracer finsihed, just put 12 eyelets in and put it around my own forearm so there we go =) still might use the texture for a leather bag might look cool

post-54720-0-80631300-1440562538_thumb.j

The texture looks good. What I don't really like are the knots. I think you could improve them by at least showing a core and in regards to your texture I would expect cracks in those kind of knots. However the texture you used for the knots isn't what I would have used as "clean" knots would show very clean rings. In your case the rings would be more of an oval shape and the core out of center as the branches came out in an ankle. You could achieve this easy with gentle knife cuts.

Just something like this:

2776545-wood-texture-with-knot.jpg

good idea Thorn thanks for that!