Ferg

Over Sized Stitching Horse

I have been making a notebook cover. Hand stitching of course. Due to the length and width of the piece it is impossible to place it in my "normal" size stitching horse.

Considered revamping the small horse but decided to build an entire new one.

It is 28" high with the clamp length of 19". I used a piece of 3/4" plywood for the bottom making it long enough so when sitting in a comfortable chair I can place my feet on

the end towards me. First image is the side towards me. I used two "quick" clamps, fastened them with a screw so they stay put.

Second image is the back side. I can hold the leather piece I am working on in my hand while reaching around the side to tighten the clamp.

Works like a charm. Changing clamps isn't a problem since I only need to do it one time when sewing the long side of the cover.

I used lumber I had in the shop. No finish and no sanding, strictly utility. If anyone is interested in building one let me know.

post-15740-001605800 1282418587_thumb.jp

post-15740-058357300 1282418909_thumb.jp

I have been making a notebook cover. Hand stitching of course. Due to the length and width of the piece it is impossible to place it in my "normal" size stitching horse.

Considered revamping the small horse but decided to build an entire new one.

It is 28" high with the clamp length of 19". I used a piece of 3/4" plywood for the bottom making it long enough so when sitting in a comfortable chair I can place my feet on

the end towards me. First image is the side towards me. I used two "quick" clamps, fastened them with a screw so they stay put.

Second image is the back side. I can hold the leather piece I am working on in my hand while reaching around the side to tighten the clamp.

Works like a charm. Changing clamps isn't a problem since I only need to do it one time when sewing the long side of the cover.

I used lumber I had in the shop. No finish and no sanding, strictly utility. If anyone is interested in building one let me know.

looks great. thanks for posting pics. it's good inspiration/knowledge for those of us that are learning.

I've had the same problem, trying to stitch a border on a 22"x22" roll-up game board. No way will that fit in any commercially-made stitching horse. I used a totally different approach and came up with an extra-wide bench-mount clamp that works pretty well for me, but what you came up with is a pretty clever adaptation of the basic stitching horse design. Thanks for posting that, I love seeing ideas like this. Gives me hope that there really is something new under the sun every once in awhile.

Kate

Hi 50,,,

First off,,, very nice design to help with your stitching problem!! It's good to see how other people solve problems they run into. I ran into the same problem stitching up notebooks, & anything bigger than about 12" square. So,,, this is what I came up with. Of course, it requires a bench vice, or some other way, to attatch it. But,,, it will hold something up to about 22" square,,, or bigger if you don't mind it hitting the floor. With it mounted in the bench vice, it can be moved around a bit, while still being pretty solid. I don't use it all that often,,, but it doesn't take up much room while not in use. For everything else, I use my little sit on stitching pony. Thanks for sharing,,, Ed the"BearMan"

post-7175-074785300 1283862615_thumb.jpg

post-7175-026414600 1283862642_thumb.jpg

post-7175-056072100 1283862711_thumb.jpg