Sign in to follow this  
landm42006

What Is Nubuck?

Like the title says: What is nubuck? I have seen some watch straps professionally made, and they advertise their wares as nubuck. But then I see some alligator straps that are also "nubuck".

So is nubuck a leather, or a treatment the leather recieves? And if it is a treatment, how can the novice / begginner pull off this effect?

Thanks, Marty

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nubuck :

Nubuck (pronounced /ˈnjbʌk/) is top-grain cattle rawhide leather that has been sanded or buffed on the grain side, or outside, to give a slight nap of short protein fibers, producing a velvet-like surface. It is resistant to wear, and may be white or coloured.[1]

Nubuck is similar to suede. It differs in that suede is created from the inner side of a hide, whereas nubuck is created from the outer side of a hide, giving it more strength and thickness along with a fine grain.[2] It is generally more expensive than suede, and must be coloured or dyed heavily to cover up the sanding and stamping process.

Some of the identifying characteristics of nubuck are similar to aniline leather; it is very soft to the touch, it will scratch very easily, and water drops will darken the leather temporarily (it will return to its original color upon drying).[3]

The word nubuck probably comes from new + buck(skin).[4]

So do you think that a simple good scuffing wiht sandpaper on some veg tanned 3oz leather would mimic the appearance of nubuck?

So do you think that a simple good scuffing wiht sandpaper on some veg tanned 3oz leather would mimic the appearance of nubuck?

That I do not know, but it might be worth a try . The surface of nubuck leather is very smooth so I´d suggest a very fine grit sandpaper if you would try?

For what it is worth

/ Knut/

In my experience, nubuck looks great new, but scratches and stains very easily.

I have a pair of boots made from it. They scratched up on the way out of the store.

I have a pair of chinks I made from nubuck (that are all but ruined for sale), that,, just from being handled by people are almost so scratched and stained that they may never sell.

It's a very nice looking leather, but in my opinion , not very sturdy in the looks department.

Joel