Sign in to follow this  
xlr8tn

Leather Splitting Help Needed

Is there anyone out there that would be willing to split a couple of pieces of leather for me? I am working on a watch strap for a friend and using some vintage ammo pouch leather that is a bit too thick. I don't make many of these so can't justify the purchase of a splitter yet. I need this leather split down to 4oz (~2mm).

Any help would be much appreciated,

Brent

Hmm...

Even though you can get away with a round knife or a pairing knife for watch straps, if you produce a reasonable volume of them or you're planning to move to other projects soon (belts, belt loops, bags with straps, horse bridle, any looping) you can get yourself a "Craftool" or an "Ivan" Hi-tec splitter. I've got an Ivan and it does a great job for its price (£120). In fact, can't see much difference between the Ivan and my friend's Dixon. It splits very well as long as you don't take off too much at a time. It doesn't skive, but you've got a round or pairing knife for skiving ;)

But of course it won't compare to Osbornes.

Can't split them for you as I'm across the pond btw =(