jdmracer12

Question About Finishing Leather

Hey everyone just wondering if anyone has sealed their finished leather goods with a wax? i have some sno seal i use to waterproof my work boots. was wondering if there would be any ill effects to using such a product?

The Sno seal will darken your leather connsiderably. There are several on these forums that use Mop N Glo floor wax cut 50/50 with water. I finish most of my items with a mix of oils and bees wax.

How dark are you talking? like from acorn brown to hersheys chocolate brown? Id be ok with a little darkening just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to hurt the leather in the long run. my fall hunting seasons are a little damp to say the least and was thinking of coating my hunting holster and knife sheath to try to protect them

Take a piece of scrap leather and put a little sno seal on it and see for your self. You will be the best judge as to if it darkens too much for you. I live in the Pacific northwest our hunting season is definitely dap if not down right soggy. I use Skidmores Bees wax waterproofing.

I've used SNO Seal a bunch and have had fine results. You certainly won't be hurting a hunting holster or knife sheath. It could possibly "hurt" a concealed carry holster and the reason I say this is that it will soften the leather which is fine for some things but not so much for others. If you want a rigid holster that the gun "clicks" into you don't want soft and pliable leather, for a hunting holster that has a retention strap, soft and pliable is good. I apply this and all similar types of "grease" (mink oil, Aussie Wax, Saddle Butter, etc.) by rubbing in a good coat with my fingers then putting it in the sun to soak in for a few hours. If sunlight isn't an option I'll set it in front of the wood stove, or leave it on the dash of a truck with the windows up, anything to "melt" it into the leather. The amount of darkening will vary and sunlight will increase how dark it goes. Camino's scrap suggestion is the only way to know how much or if you're OK with it.

Good luck, Josh