Sign in to follow this  
CWR

Harness Leather Tack

I have been getting some requests for headstalls and reins. I have never worked with harness leather, after rubbing the edges do you treat it with anything?

Thanks,

CW

Yes and no...no you wont use any dye or edge kote to dye the edges, but you can use gum tragacanth to smooth it up a bunch and help with burnishing. Then, just oil the whole piece real well.

Hope thats what you were looking for,

CW

Thanks, I'm getting good edges with paste saddle soap, canvas and a big can of elbow grease. I probabably wasn't very clear in my post, but what if any dressing should be used after the edges are done. Are you just using neatsfoot?

CW

I usually just use olive oil. If it is harness leather I like to use a harness oil that weavers sells, but I cant remember what they call it. You basically just dip the piece in the oil for a couple seconds, pull it out, wipe the excess off, put it in a plastic bag and set it in the sun for a couple days. The piece will be broke in like youve been using it for 10 years. Works great on split reins.

CW

I made a set of harness bridles and 24' lines for a customer, and the most enjoyable thing about working with the Wickett & Craig leather was the lack of inputs I had to use on the leather! Just some simple edging, glycerine soap and an old piece of jeans and it was finished!