aaron61032

Tandy Solid Brass Chicago Screws Not So Solid

The Tandy Chicago screws are just rubbing off and looking nickel plated with no effort at all. My show piece I have had for just about a month now looks like it has shiny nickel hardware. These are for dog collars so they will have some wear and I can't send out a product like this. My dee rings and buckles from strapworks.com are doing just fine it is only the Tandy parts. Anyone know where I can get quality 1/4" brass chicago screws?

Anywhere but Tandy. I buy my hardware from Springfield leather co. (at top of page on forum) and I put brass on a messenger bag I made over a year ago and even bleached the tops to age them some and they are fine still. Cheryl

Here are a few well respected sources for hardware around here, Springfield Leather Co, Oho Travel Bag, and buckleguy.com. A lot of Tandy hardware is cheap overseas junk. I'm not too supprised you got bit by false advertising. Real solid brass costs some money. The overseas guys seem to consider "brass" a color description rather then specific raw material.

Another source is Weaver. They sell quality hardware including chicago screws.

Chief

I get all mine from Weaver.

You have to be carefull buying from tandy.

Tandy's Gun Metal Black chicago screws seem to be ok but my stock of them is old. There quality can change quickly.

Thanks guys. I was under the wrong impression that Springfield got their stuff from Tandy. I will give those a try.

Weaver has in the past had a relationship with Tandy. I have actually received product from Weaver labeled Tandy. I don't know if this is currently the case as for the last several years the products have been brass and well made. OTB products are very very good; most that I use are Belgian.

There is not a lot wrong with buying quality products from China if you can find them, particularly if you can't get them in the US. Any product can be made cheaply, but it is mostly at the cost of quality. Tandy seems to be trying to prove this single-handedly.

Art

Tandy Gun metal Chicago screws are still good. Got 100 last month and they look and hold up like my order from 2 years ago. I put one on the buffing wheel and it didnt rub off.

2 weeks ago I got a 10 pk of brass chicago screws from tandy and cut one in half and it was solid brass. But I have seen differences between the quality between 10 pks and 100 pks in the past.

If you need some quickly, you might try running to a tractor supply or a local co-op. They almost never source from tandy. That being said, I've not encountered this problem that you've been having. Maybe someone pulled the fleece over tandy's eyes on a batch from china.

one of the problems I have with Tandy's Chicago screw post rivets (other than the bad finish) is the packaging on the brass ones. it says Brass, but is just brass plate over steel, but unlike the nickel, isn't marked that way. Their retail price for that junk is around $30 for eliete pricing, and places like Zack white sell actual solid brass ones for around $18/100. im sure they are imported, but at least they are solid brass, and less than 1/2 retail price of tandy's for plated.

sorry to rant.

we can make good quality screw/buckle for you,we are in china

one of the problems I have with Tandy's Chicago screw post rivets (other than the bad finish) is the packaging on the brass ones. it says Brass, but is just brass plate over steel, but unlike the nickel, isn't marked that way. Their retail price for that junk is around $30 for eliete pricing, and places like Zack white sell actual solid brass ones for around $18/100. im sure they are imported, but at least they are solid brass, and less than 1/2 retail price of tandy's for plated.

sorry to rant.

That's not a rant....Tandy uk must sell the same screws as I also found the need to cut one of the many useless cross threaded screws in half and I think they invented a new "metal" to make them from...yet they still charge more than solid brass prices!

The veg tan that I have bought when I have too is normally the wrong weight and very dirty surface plus a lot more cuts, bites and holes etc than I would expect for the price.

It is a shame that Tandy have let quality slide so far but everyone has to do what they need to survive and maybe they had no choice but there prices should be much better.

It seems that they have one stock delivery per year so don't expect them to have what you need when you need it and they have discontinued dye colours on me twice which is not good when you have photos and adverts running (yet those colours are still available in the usa?)

Rant over

........ BUT.... on the positive side the service from all the staff at Tandy uk has been hard to beat and delivery is super quick(if in stock!) so for the hobbyist you can't beat the range they offer in the uk.....as they say, you pays your money and takes your chances :)

We manufacture Chicago screws out of solid brass among other materials and items. We are located in California. Feel free to browse our products and message me if you have any questions. www.usbind.com

Edited by rosjr

Ohio Travel Bag is a good source for just about everything...very high quality and fair prices...I use their sold Brass Chicago Screws and never had a problem.

We manufacture Chicago screws out of solid brass among other materials and items. We are located in California. Feel free to browse our products and message me if you have any questions. www.usbind.com

Do you make some with screw slots on both pieces? I saw a sling with those on it and thought it would work well to keep them from loosening up, but can't find a source.

Weaver usually has quality and stands behind what they sell. A magnet will quickly show you what is brass plated steel.

We have made both ends slotted for customers in the past. The solid head slotted posts are usually made to order. On the posts with an open head / hole through the head, we can have slotted and shipped in a couple days. We offer them in solid brass, nickel, black, antique brass, and copper. PM me directly if interested.

Thanks to those that recommended Weaver!

We do offer Solid Brass screws, and they are definitely brass. You can buy retail at www.weaverleathersupply.com or PM me for wholesale account information. Make sure to select the item with "P" in the item number for Plain. The others are floral.

As always, free shipping within the US for orders of $50 or more.

Thanks to those that recommended Weaver!

We do offer Solid Brass screws, and they are definitely brass. You can buy retail at www.weaverleathersupply.com or PM me for wholesale account information. Make sure to select the item with "P" in the item number for Plain. The others are floral.

As always, free shipping within the US for orders of $50 or more.

and you have the solid brass jiffy rivets I love so much but had trouble finding!! I landed up buying some tandy stuff and now I dont know what to do with em!