Rubo

Full color printing on leather

Hello folks,

Brand new business. Name is LeatherFX. Based in Los Angeles. My first post here - want to show what we do here - just one picture for now - too busy to even to get the web site up - anyway, we do full color printing on leather - any leather, pretty much - coated, uncoated, crust, even snake skin. My customers make garments, shoes, handbags, belts, pillows, furniture, seat covers - anything you can think that is leather. The way it works - the customer provides the artwork and the skin, we do the job and everybody's happy. Or we can do the whole thing locally and ship the goods.

If anybody wants to know more please contact via e-mail. I won't discuss the printing process though - it's proprietary- sorry, folks. Enjoy!

boot_test.jpg

post-11624-125399730074_thumb.jpg

Pretty cool but color printing on leather has been around for a bit now. Years ago I had a Rodger Dean piece placed on the back of one of my leather jackets. I would be curious how you go about it! If it is as new and radical as you say you should already have a solid patent on the process and then perhaps you could enlighten everyone else. Where in LA are you based and can people come by your business and check it out? The potentail is big time! Good luck!

Edited by Storm

Pretty cool but color printing on leather has been around for a bit now. Years ago I had a Rodger Dean piece placed on the back of one of my leather jackets. I would be curious how you go about it! If it is as new and radical as you say you should already have a solid patent on the process and then perhaps you could enlighten everyone else. Where in LA are you based and can people come by your business and check it out? The potentail is big time! Good luck!

Hey Storm, thanks for the "Pretty cool" - it is. I'm actually working on patent application as we speak. You're right, it has been around for a while - but I don't have to spend $25 000 plus on equipment to do the job. I know of very few companies that do color printing on leather that is not screen printing - don't want to soot myself in the leg, so no names - but one of them will print only on their leather, the other one made a lot of noise a year or so ago - "revolution in leather technology, blah-blah-blah", but what they do is basically laminate the leather with printed film - not a lot of "leatherness" remains there, I think. I'm in Glendale and no, people cannot come to check out things - sorry. But anybody can see/touch/scratch/test/taste samples. Cheers,

Ruben

Hey Storm, thanks for the "Pretty cool" - it is. I'm actually working on patent application as we speak. You're right, it has been around for a while - but I don't have to spend $25 000 plus on equipment to do the job. I know of very few companies that do color printing on leather that is not screen printing - don't want to soot myself in the leg, so no names - but one of them will print only on their leather, the other one made a lot of noise a year or so ago - "revolution in leather technology, blah-blah-blah", but what they do is basically laminate the leather with printed film - not a lot of "leatherness" remains there, I think. I'm in Glendale and no, people cannot come to check out things - sorry. But anybody can see/touch/scratch/test/taste samples. Cheers,

Ruben

Thanks Ruben....Appreciate the call back. When you do open up a walk-in then let me know. All the best in the new venture!!!

Thanks Ruben....Appreciate the call back. When you do open up a walk-in then let me know. All the best in the new venture!!!

Tnx. I will.

Interesting yet mysterious....

Hello folks,

Brand new business. Name is LeatherFX. Based in Los Angeles. .......... I won't discuss the printing process though - it's proprietary- sorry, folks. Enjoy!

That's a shame. Haven't run across that on this forum before.

Does it involve Plaid's"Picture This"? I'm curious whether you reinvented 2shews' wheel.

Johanna

Johanna,

I thought the same thing, then also wondered if involved sublimation printing or a combination of the two?

I have wondered if the inks used in sublimation t-shirt printing would lend itself to transfer easily using the "picture this"

and 2shews process. Maybe I'll add that to my list of I have to try's and need to do's list.

Allen

After doing some research, I found out that there are many processes already out there for transferring a digital image to leather.

The sublimation process is possible and being done currently with a few different twists in outcomes.

As Rubo said there are some who apply a film to the leather, which is like a decal over the top. One of the most promising one I saw for a home crafter or small business was a process in which using common readily available sublimation inks, a t-shirt heat press and an after treatment to seal the ink (which provides a little protection from scratching and scuffing the art.) According to the write-up, the penetration of the ink is dependant on the leather. A sealed, gloss leather is tougher to protect the image than say a porrus leather.

I have a request into a guy that does this type of work and maybe I can see if I can get him to print up a few things to see if it works.

Allen

PS As far as patenting the process, unless Rubo has come up with a radically different way to do this process, I would seriously think about making sure I am not duplicating someone elses work. I found several different patents and processes that are (although still in thier "infantcy") already doing this very thing. I'd hate to see someone spend tons of money to try and patent a process that is already estabilished.

I would agree, patents are very expensive and usually fruitless these days.Even if you were lucky enough to get one, defending it is your responsibilty.Anyways I have been using the film technique and coat mine with Feibings Leather Sheen.I have done alot of testing, first made several test pieces to try and destroy, and make some sheaths to give out.I gave some to my regular customers to use and give me feedback.The film holds up extremely well and aside from what the OP said,I believe it has a very leathery feel to it.I have even been able to bevel a background on it and mold it.Dave

groupsheaths.jpg

slingtom.jpg

Hello folks, thanks for all the interest. Really appreciated - I learn a lot, believe me. As far as sublimation - I'm over it, so I will let it go - sublimation doesn't work - at least for my purposes - the reason being the pressure of the press - leather is a sponge, in a sense, so once you apply the heat and the pressure to transfer the image, after a while it starts expanding - so you loose the sharpness of the image. Then there is an issue with the coating (for sublimation) - that one severely restricts your leather options. I've done it and abandoned it. The prints fade.

The other option is printing with UV inks on a flatbed printer - BIG bucks. The image looks like an inkjet print (dots etc, because of non-uniform surface of the leather).

The coating I use happen to penetrate the leather and some of it stays on top - we have some mechanical tests done on it (some 50 000 revolutions, something or another - essentially, the life time of the item) - works like a charm. Same with UV fastness. I got the coating from a guy who has no idea about leather - he makes the staff for absolutely different purposes.

I've got some more pics to show - same process for all the things you see. No, it's not a wrap. No, it's not a water transfer. It's not an airbrush.

P.S. For Allen - I'd love to see the results of your search on leather printing in, as you said,"infancy".

I'll print some images for you to play with in return;)

Cheers.

Rubo

jacket_back.jpg

jacket_front.jpg

BMW _leather.jpg

post-11624-125416864695_thumb.jpg

post-11624-125416866122_thumb.jpg

post-11624-125416868649_thumb.jpg

almost looks airbrushed or tattooed on there.

Hey Bro Rubo,

No disrespect intended. The items and articles including patent searches are new... in the last 3 years so yes, so the processes I am referring to in the leather world (thousands of years) still an infant. The information is readily available on the internet with a few search terms.

I am glad you have a process that works for you. Good luck with it.

Be advised if you come to a place like Leatherworker.net and post a process like you did, you will have curious people ask questions. Proprietary or not, as a whole, LW is a sharing community. So don't get your gander up cause someone is curious about the process. We're all friends here... you included. :grouphug5vj5:

We all try to advance leather working as a trade and as a hobby. I will still have my buddy do the sublimation printing as I said I would if for no other reason to bang my own head up against the wall. Just curiosity mainly.

Allen

Will it work on veg tan leather, which is then cased and shaped? I'm a mask maker.

Thanks,

Will it work on veg tan leather, which is then cased and shaped? I'm a mask maker.

Thanks,

If you want me to try, send some skin. Contact me off the list and I'll give you the address.

One of the companies I do work for claim that they can print on anything that will lay flat. They have several different large format, flat bed digital printers...I've seen them print on stone, glass, foam core, plexi, vinyl, etc.......I'll ask what they think of leather......

Personally, too gimmicky for me.

Edited by Rayban

Hello folks,

Brand new business. Name is LeatherFX. Based in Los Angeles. My first post here - want to show what we do here - just one picture for now - too busy to even to get the web site up - anyway, we do full color printing on leather - any leather, pretty much - coated, uncoated, crust, even snake skin. My customers make garments, shoes, handbags, belts, pillows, furniture, seat covers - anything you can think that is leather. The way it works - the customer provides the artwork and the skin, we do the job and everybody's happy. Or we can do the whole thing locally and ship the goods.

If anybody wants to know more please contact via e-mail. I won't discuss the printing process though - it's proprietary- sorry, folks. Enjoy!

Believe we have something in common. http://www.imcglobalinc.com

Amy and Rubo- I am intrigued. I've been thinking about the potential for this technology since I met Billy 2shews. I never thought much about the market for customer give-aways, dismissing it thinking "plastic is cheaper".

But people tend to keep things they perceive as valuable, or find useful and durable, and right there leather fills a niche like no other, and the market certainly expands beyond leatherworkers. If either of you want to donate 10,000 key fobs with the leatherworker banner on them and your "donated by" name and number. to be given to all members who want one, we would be delighted. Maybe some leather folks who run companies would like to have some spiffy things to pass out to school children on tours, business partners and friends, place in trade show baskets, or even bigger projects- new briefcases for everybody! How cool is it to run a leather company and have unique exciting freebies and gifts, custom designed, at affordable prices?

Hey best of luck to both of you- I hope you guys all make a go of it. I'd like to see more leather than plastic junk, of course. Looking at what you do opens a whole new dimension using leather.

Johanna

Believe we have something in common. http://www.imcglobalinc.com

Hello Amy,

I live in Xiamen and will try to visit your office next week. I am very much interested in this process for our production and custom cases.

John

P.S. For Rubo: I'd check out your service too but the logistics don't work for me - your stuff looks really hot!

Quick update: I visited Amy's place today and the folks there were very nice. They have a process that prints directly onto the leather and it's very durable. I compared two wallets one made of chrome tanned nappa and the other made of vinyl and you could definitely tell that the leather one was much better, it still felt like leather, soft and supple.

I didn't get too much into the exact process as I didn't want to pry. Essentially they are capable of printing anything onto a leather or vinyl substrate it seems. I am going to give them some sample pieces of veg tan, nappa, suede, etc... dark, light, and so on to see how well they do.

This is not for the small leather worker though. They do volume production starting at 500 units. I'd say that if you are looking to do a pretty cool leather thingy - like a key fob, football, soccer ball, etc... in volume and with a full color super durable image then these are the folks you want doing it. I don't know who else is in this business besides Rubo but these guys have it down. It's definitely well beyond what 2Shews is doing with the Plaid stuff.

That said this technique does leave the product with a professional "factory" feel. I am sure that one can design images to evoke more of the handmade feeling but I doubt that this will ever give someone the same impression as a 2shews style piece.

If Rubo's stuff is as good or better then it's a good way to go for someone who needs and wants images printed on leather. I am going to be curious to see how well it works on veg tan and what can be done to it afterward.

Thanks,

I have a small format flatbed printer which I have been experimenting with. I have printed on Veg tan and then cased and tooled.

I will attempt to attach some photos. First photo is the original digital image. Second photo is the printed and tooled leather.

After a year of use as a mouse pad. post-14866-039842900 1293665376_thumb.jppost-14866-061216200 1293665429_thumb.jpEmail me separately for details.

I have a small format flatbed printer which I have been experimenting with. I have printed on Veg tan and then cased and tooled.

I will attempt to attach some photos. First photo is the original digital image. Second photo is the printed and tooled leather.

After a year of use as a mouse pad. post-14866-039842900 1293665376_thumb.jppost-14866-061216200 1293665429_thumb.jpEmail me separately for details.

That would be an acquired taste.

ferg