sprayZman

New To The Forum, New To Leather Work - What Sewing Machine Do I Get?

Hi guys. I am new here. I am one of those guys that likes to learn how to do everything. Recently my teenagers started rebuilding a car. I was stupid enough to tell them I could repair the leather upholstery. I've been wanting to work on auto leather upholstery for a long time. The time is now. I need to choose a sewing machine. The few available in my area are:

$250 to $400 (Singer 281-1, Rex Model 11-155R, Singer Model 31-15, Singer 402 W 101) $800 to $1000 (Kansai WX-8803D, Singer model 212g140, Singer 153WSV19)

What machine should I buy? I want to stay around $500. Are any of the ones I listed any good?

The one in the pictures does not have a make and model. The owner doe not know what it is. Can somebody tell me what it is? is it a good starter machine?

post-52280-0-58534500-1400553348_thumb.jpost-52280-0-30369100-1400553360_thumb.j

Thanks in advance.

Nelson

Look closer at the rex, it may be a compound feed walking foot machine possibly with reverse but im not sure. See if a mod can relocate this to "leather sewing machines" area, you will probably get a better response. At any rate the compound feed/triple feed is what you're after. A really popular upholstery machine is the Consew 205RB, large bobbin machine with reverse. Some of the Singer flatbed machines would be 111w155 or 111w156 and the 211w155 * note * I believe these would be suitable but I am NOT an expert.

Edited by J Hayes

Can a moderator move this post to the "leather sewing machines" area? please.

Can a moderator move this post to the "leather sewing machines" area? please.

Done a while ago this morning, now it is under

Leatherworker.net Fabrication Leather Sewing Machines

Left a link at its original location.

Tom

The only upholstery grade machine in your list appears to be the Rex. As long as you stick to chrome tan leather it will do a good job. However, if you use it to sew veg-tan or bridle leather it will mark the top pretty badly with the teeth on the feet.