flynscot

Sd Myres Saddle Co. Leatherwork

The world-famous SD Myres Saddle Company operated from 1898 to 1969 out of both Sweetwater (early) and El Paso (later) Texas. Though Uncle Myres died in the 50's, the company kept going and finally folded in 1969.

SD "Tio" Myres was my grandfather's uncle. His work has inspired me to take up leathercraft as a serious hobby.

Vintagegunleather.com's Brief History of SD Myres

The Pioneer Museum in Sweetwater Texas has a very nice exhibition of the early saddle company's leatherwork. I visited last year on a trip to New Mexico. Photos Below:

IMG_0850.jpg

IMG_0849.jpg

IMG_0846.jpg

IMG_0845.jpg

IMG_0844.jpg

IMG_0841.jpg

IMG_0839.jpg

IMG_0838.jpg

IMG_0835.jpg

IMG_0831.jpg

IMG_0830.jpg

More SD Myres Saddle Co. products:

IMG_0826.jpg

Uncle "Tio" Myres

IMG_0820.jpg

IMG_0818.jpg

IMG_0817.jpg

IMG_0816.jpg

IMG_0814.jpg

IMG_0814.jpg

IMG_0809.jpg

IMG_0804.jpg

IMG_0795.jpg

IMG_0794.jpg

IMG_0795.jpg

IMG_0794.jpg

IMG_0815.jpg

More photos:

IMG_0797.jpg

IMG_0800.jpg

IMG_0802.jpg

IMG_0803.jpg

IMG_0805.jpg

IMG_0806.jpg

IMG_0807.jpg

IMG_0808.jpg

IMG_0812.jpg

IMG_0813.jpg

IMG_0823.jpg

IMG_0824.jpg

IMG_0825.jpg

Finally, a few shots of one of the holsters in my personal collection I think this one dates from the 1930's-1940's:

IMG_3452.jpg

IMG_3453.jpg

IMG_3459.jpg

Just wanted to say thanks for sharing these treasures.

flynscot

I have merged your topics so they don't get separated and lost. I recognize the SD Myers name. Very interesting pictures and neat history here. Thanks for posting!

flynscot

I have merged your topics so they don't get separated and lost. I recognize the SD Myers name. Very interesting pictures and neat history here. Thanks for posting!

Thanks, Denise! The site doesn't like large numbers of IMG tags, so I originally had do it in three parts...

Hello flynscot,

Thanks for posting all of these pictures. It's great to see some of the original artwork in our craft.

Bob

Thank you very much! I really enjoyed looking at all the pictures and even spent some more time studying some of them - I saw some interesting application of stamping tools that I hadn't seen before.

You're very welcome. I'm glad I can share the images. Not only are there some fairly unique examples of tooling, but I also believe that many of the carving and stamping tools were made on-site in the shop, and may thus not be truly dupicable.

Hi flynscot, thank you for posting this!  I was in the middle of a little research about S. D. Myres and came across your photos and history.  I'm the director of the Pioneer City County Museum in Sweetwater and I thought you might be interested in knowing that we are currently working with UNT to digitize most of the photographs and letters in our Myres' collection.  We also have moved the collection was the "Barn" to inside the Chapel so that the pieces will be better preserved.  We're glad that you visited us and hope to see you again sometime!  We also have a new website that you can find here www.pioneermuseumtx.org  We are continually working on it to make it better so please check back from time to time and thank you for your interest in Tio Sam!

Thanks for posting, very interesting! :)