Sign in to follow this  
JasonGwiazda

Two Pairs Of Chinks

G'Day fellow leatherworkers, thought I'd post some pictures of the first 2 pairs of chinks that I made.

The chinks are for a friend, he needed a new pair to go with his new saddle before the Aussie Equitana. I would have liked to have made the fringe longer by an extra 1.5", but didn't have enough leather. The stamping was my first attempt (other than a couple practice pieces) and I'm pretty happy with it. (sorry I couldn't get any close up photos of it!!) I used his old chinks as a template cos he said they fit good but needed to be longer (he's about 6'6")

The armitas are my first attempt at leatherworking. I used Mark B's chink template and slightly modified it to suit. I made a few cuts here and there that I'm not proud of but overall I'm happy with them.

Let me know what you guys think, any criticism would be fantastic.

Jason

post-16734-086765300 1293167500_thumb.jp post-16734-039998500 1293167546_thumb.jp

post-16734-027595400 1293167598_thumb.jp post-16734-012211900 1293167569_thumb.jp

G’Day Jason:

Wow; a lot of firsts for you on this project, that’s great. As a craftsman you will always be your hardest critic, but I think you did a great job on this project. I can’t comment too much on the design of the chinks because I have never made a pair, but they look good.

My greatest reward with making things for people was knowing they would be used and used hard in some cases. I made it a point with my returning customers to ask to see the old items I had made for them so that I could see what they looked like and how they held up over time. You can learn a lot about construction practices by seeing some of the structural failures that you weren’t aware of when you made them and that lets you continually improve your work. In some cases it is the addition of an extra piece of leather to stiffen a hard worked area, the addition of a rivet, extra stitching (maybe doubled up side by side stitching) or so on.

Some people cringe when their beautiful handmade items leave their bench because they will get scratched, scuffed, etc… But I think the use of an item actually makes it better and gives them more character. There is an old saying in traditional archery that goes “Nothing does an arrow more good, than to be shot out of a bow”. I think that holds true for the things we make, nothing does them more good than to be used by someone.

Keep it fun !

Jason

I think you did a great job with both pair. I to like to see what I make used but then again I make a lot for the working cowboy's and buckaroo's so they do get used hard. I like to see them after they have been use for the same reasons to see what I can make better. I also use them myself here on the ranch and have found out many thing about how I need to chance things over the last 20 years of using what I make. I like that you took my pattern and used it to make what you liked and what will work for you. The patterns I sell are not the only way to do a pair of chinks, but they do give a place to start. When I started I had a western horseman with some pictures and the drive to make a pair of chinks. From there I cut out lots that did not fit and in some cases would rub and hurt me. I did learn a lot form using them and making changes. I do know that the pattern I sell now has been in the making for over 20 years and does fit the people I have made chinks for with it. With that pattern I do make some changes to fit the needs of the costumer I am making the chinks for too. In the DVD I sell I try to go in to that some as well but it is hard to cover everything because there are so many different things that you will encounter making chinks and any leather items. I guess what I am saying is this great job, just keep working at it and you will find what works for you and your customers.

I think you have a great start and they really are nice looking. Good Job

Thank you for buying the patterns as well.

Mark

JasonGwiazda

Very nice job! especially for your first two pairs! Good on you mate :)

Merry Christmas guys!

Joel

Mark, do you have instructions on how to make the Armitas for sale yet?

Joel

Not yet but hope to soon. am working on Spur strap DVD right now.

Mark

Thanks for your kind words guys, I appreciate it. And Merry Christmas to you as well Joel.

Both pairs have created some interest, so it looks like I might just have to make some more!

Mark, I might get a copy of those armita instructions when you have them finished, and maybe the spur strap dvd too!

Jason

Nice job on the chinks,the only suggestion I have is invest in some good basket stamps from say Barry King you'll be amazed at the difference! Other wise great job and keep it up!!!

[

post-16734-086765300 1293167500_thumb.jp post-16734-039998500 1293167546_thumb.jp

post-16734-027595400 1293167598_thumb.jp post-16734-012211900 1293167569_thumb.jp

Nice pics , Nice horse ,TOP JOB mate you have done well, I know Steve is very happy with them and after a few clinics you might " will " be a busy man

Cheers

Bevan