Greywynd

Granite slabs for tooling and sharpening

This was on another forum, but Enco has granite surface plates on sale right now.

Enco has most smaller plates on 1/2 off sale right now. Use code PRSMAR for free shipping to sweeten the deal even more!

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INLMK3?PMK0NO=1009324

These are the plates that are flat and true, great for uses other than just stamping!

This was on another forum, but Enco has granite surface plates on sale right now.

Enco has most smaller plates on 1/2 off sale right now. Use code PRSMAR for free shipping to sweeten the deal even more!

These are the plates that are flat and true, great for uses other than just stamping!

Or you can go to a place that makes custom counter tops, and get granite sink cutouts for free.

Or you can go to a place that makes custom counter tops, and get granite sink cutouts for free.

Fine for tooling, but if you need it to be flat (to sharpen a splitter knife for example) I wouldn't use a chunk of counter top!

Also, not everyone has a counter top place around, so this still may be of interest to some.

(Doesn't matter to me either way, I have 2 or 3 surface plates, and a 4" thick chunk of granite for tooling...also, That is an American supplier, I'm in Canada.)

I found the thinner pieces of granite like you would get with a cut out didn't hold up to lots of heavy basket stamping. I kept having pieces break off. About 10 years ago I got a granite surface plate about 3" thick. it been great and it wasn't that expensive either, maybe $80.00 or so.

I found the thinner pieces of granite like you would get with a cut out didn't hold up to lots of heavy basket stamping. I kept having pieces break off. About 10 years ago I got a granite surface plate about 3" thick. it been great and it wasn't that expensive either, maybe $80.00 or so.

I agree with Greywynd and mulefool, for a good stamping block it's much better to have something that is 3 to 4 inches thick or more. You may not think you have much bounce with a thin slab until you try one with more beef to it. You will see an improvment in impression depth especially basket stamping.

That's a good deal Greywynd thanks for the information.

Doug

Wow that is a great price for granite plates!! The free shipping is also a great deal sweetener. Everybody on this forum who stamps or tools should get one of these, even if it is just a small one. I've been stamping on one for years and will never go back to thin, easily broken marble slabs.

Thanks for posting!!!!!!!!

Tim

Are the grade B slabs good, or would I need to get the grade A slab?

Grade B works fine.

Grade A's are for high precision tolerances/machining. In fact when you step up to high tolerances you would keep the temperature constant in the QC room and even soak your parts in that room prior to them being checked.

Regards,

Ben

The back side of headstones with typos work nicely too. They're also pretty cheap.

I would strongly suggest that you get a ledged surface plate so that you can move it more easily.

On another note, I have a quick question about the flaking granite. What kind/name of granite was it that flaked off? That is pretty common with marble. Just wondering....

Regards,

Ben

I've heard both ways saying that marble is better if you get a thick piece, as it's softer and if a tool punches through less likely to damage the tool. Granite is harder and I do know that it will mess up tools. My daughter used a single hole punch and really destroyed it on granite. After the talking to I gave her she knows better now, but damage was already done. One other thing, I have a piece of marble about 3 and 1/2 in. thick that is app. 24"x28'' that I got for free from the scrap pile of a monument maker. The manager, after I told him what I wanted it for took me out to the pile and told me to get anything that I could load, as they have to pay to have it hauled off. That was the best piece that day, but he also told me to check back. That has been several years ago, and I hopeing to get a new tooling table made and if things work out I going back and try to get a pice with really straight edges and have it recessed into the table top. Anyway a good source might be to check with any local monument makers for their cast offs. Good Luck Billy P

Ya need at least 3-4 inch slab of granite to tool....also you can sand it down so you have smooth surface to sharpen tools !!!

I have a 36X20X4 for free, if anybody wants it....pick up in Gate City, VA 24251!!!

Greetings

I have a 36X20X4 for free, if anybody wants it....pick up in Gate City, VA 24251!!!

Greetings

Just what I'm looking for . . . pity you can't just slip it in a Jiffy bag and drop it in the postbox! :(

I picked up a very nice 9"x12"x3" 2 ledge granite plate over at Grizzly at their Muncy, PA distribution center while I was on vacation. It cost me $23 and is very portable. Impulse buy.

BTW I would not tool on it without a poundo board or something similar on top.

:red_bandana::red_bandana::red_bandana:

Tried to order one but the promo code comes up as invalid. Could there be a typo or another code?

Thanks

Richard

I picked up a very nice 9"x12"x3" 2 ledge granite plate over at Grizzly at their Muncy, PA distribution center while I was on vacation. It cost me $23 and is very portable. Impulse buy.

BTW I would not tool on it without a poundo board or something similar on top.

what. why do you put poundo board between your leather and your stone? seems like it would defeat the purpose to me.

what. why do you put poundo board between your leather and your stone? seems like it would defeat the purpose to me.

I don't want to punch through and have the tool hit the stone. The stone is a solid stable flat surface... good base for tooling operations. The poundo board absorbs any punch throughs. If I am only stamping, I wouldn't need the poundo but I do a lot of punching so I tend to use it all the time. I think I was speaking of tooling in the broader sense where punching is tooling as Billy P was describing with his daughter.

Quite frankly I found that a 1" Resolene board is great for both kinds of tooling. I have a large one in the shop and I do all my shop punching on it. Upstairs I have a marble base with poundo glued to the bottom to keep it from scratching the table and a poundo that I can remove or put on top as I wish. I don't have a poundo of the same size as the new granite plate as it is a little smaller than the marble. I guess I could use the oversize poundo if I need it.

I don't want to punch through and have the tool hit the stone. The stone is a solid stable flat surface... good base for tooling operations. The poundo board absorbs any punch throughs. If I am only stamping, I wouldn't need the poundo but I do a lot of punching so I tend to use it all the time. I think I was speaking of tooling in the broader sense where punching is tooling as Billy P was describing with his daughter.

Quite frankly I found that a 1" Resolene board is great for both kinds of tooling. I have a large one in the shop and I do all my shop punching on it. Upstairs I have a marble base with poundo glued to the bottom to keep it from scratching the table and a poundo that I can remove or put on top as I wish. I don't have a poundo of the same size as the new granite plate as it is a little smaller than the marble. I guess I could use the oversize poundo if I need it.

Bree, what is Resolene Board?

Tony.

Bree, what is Resolene Board?

Tony.

It's a kind of HDPE board. Campbell Bosworth sell them. Other Clicker Press suppliers do as well.

http://www.campbell-bosworth.com/catalog/p...roducts_id/2291

Are you sure this promo code is correct? It would not work for me either.

I use a repo'd grave stone. They are made up the street from me and some people wont pay and they take them back.

I just got me a brand new misprinted head stone used it tonight and I love it. Way better than the 2'' granite I was using.

Are you sure this promo code is correct? It would not work for me either.

Try PRSMAY, I just ordered mine with free shipping.

Thanks for the correction Tom. I just ordered enough to cover my carving and stamping table, 24x36. Sure saved a bunch of money,thanks to all. Just could not bring myself to pound on someones headstone.

Richard