barra

Funny sewing machine moments

Just for some light hearted grins and giggles I thought I'd list a few stuff ups and near misses I have witnessed or participated in over the years.

1. When learning to sew on an Industrial machine one of my fellow students caught his sleeve as he was sewing (the mind boggles how). Anyhoo he paniced and kinda pooped his pants. This caused him to actually put his foot down. This promptly fed his arm into the machine. Unbelievably no blood was drawn. (there is an old saying. Your not a machinists boot lace until you have drawn blood)

2. Then there is the occasion where a fellow colleague who decided he was now a gun sewing machine mechanic. He totally dismantled one of our Pfaff 545's, cleaned it and reassembled it. When you put your foot down it went in reverse and when you applied the reverse lever it sewed forward.

3. Another colleague makes a duffle type bag. Reads the technical drawing wrong and marks it out in inches (drawing was in metric). When made you could have parked a volkswagon in the bag. To this day I have no idea why it did not dawn on him during the assembly phase that something may be amiss.

OK in case anyone thinks the stories about colleagues are actually me covering up my stupidity. The next two are actually mine.

4. I have a tendency to concentrate hard on intricate sewing jobs and lean in real close. When using a Singer 132K6 (which is an old machine, no reverse and no guard on the take up arm) I leaned in close as usual and was clunked in the forehead about 20 times by the take up arm going hell for leather before I came to my senses. I now wear my safety ball cap when using a 132K6

5. When stitching up another duffle type bag I stitched on the handles on one side and then got side tracked in conversation. When I returned to the task I picked up the other end of the strap for the handle on the other side. Put it in place and stitched it in place. It was only when all was stitched in place that I looked down and noticed the handle was wrapped around the leg of the machine. 2 choices, unpick or dismantle the sewing machine table. The unpicker stayed on the tool board and the spanner/wrench came off.

Barra

Just for some light hearted grins and giggles I thought I'd list a few stuff ups and near misses I have witnessed or participated in over the years.

1. When learning to sew on an Industrial machine one of my fellow students caught his sleeve as he was sewing (the mind boggles how). Anyhoo he paniced and kinda pooped his pants. This caused him to actually put his foot down. This promptly fed his arm into the machine. Unbelievably no blood was drawn. (there is an old saying. Your not a machinists boot lace until you have drawn blood)

2. Then there is the occasion where a fellow colleague who decided he was now a gun sewing machine mechanic. He totally dismantled one of our Pfaff 545's, cleaned it and reassembled it. When you put your foot down it went in reverse and when you applied the reverse lever it sewed forward.

3. Another colleague makes a duffle type bag. Reads the technical drawing wrong and marks it out in inches (drawing was in metric). When made you could have parked a volkswagon in the bag. To this day I have no idea why it did not dawn on him during the assembly phase that something may be amiss.

OK in case anyone thinks the stories about colleagues are actually me covering up my stupidity. The next two are actually mine.

4. I have a tendency to concentrate hard on intricate sewing jobs and lean in real close. When using a Singer 132K6 (which is an old machine, no reverse and no guard on the take up arm) I leaned in close as usual and was clunked in the forehead about 20 times by the take up arm going hell for leather before I came to my senses. I now wear my safety ball cap when using a 132K6

5. When stitching up another duffle type bag I stitched on the handles on one side and then got side tracked in conversation. When I returned to the task I picked up the other end of the strap for the handle on the other side. Put it in place and stitched it in place. It was only when all was stitched in place that I looked down and noticed the handle was wrapped around the leg of the machine. 2 choices, unpick or dismantle the sewing machine table. The unpicker stayed on the tool board and the spanner/wrench came off.

Barra

Hi Barra, I've got one for you...

A lady called me and said that her machine would not pick up a stitch. After 30 minutes of "check this and check that" it turned out that she didn't have a needle in the machine. Steve

Ha ha ha ha lol guys this is great.

Here's one that hit me funny.

One day a old lady was sewing and had been for a few hours she was making a white dress when she should the women she was making it for the dress was red and the tread was white and upon further review the old lady was color blind and didn't know any better.

MINE WAS NOT FUNNY AT THE TIME............DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR STICHES

LOOK LIKE WHEN YOU DO NOT GET NEEDLE PUT IN RIGHT............. :bawling::bawling:

Most of my sewing machine experiences aren't overly funny at the time. Looking back later, they have some humor, but usually I'm the butt of the joke. I've, more than once, been sewing something and the machine spits the bit for some reason or other. I'll fiddle with it, re-adjust some stuff, and then try again. After several tries to correct the problem my patience begins to wear a touch thin. Inevitably, in a small fit of rage, I'll try to just yank the piece I'm working on out from under the presser foot. And, inevitably, either the tip of the needle or the bottom of the foot catches, scrapes, scars, or in some way destroys the project. Usually, at this point, the small fit of rage is ratcheted up a notch or two. One time in particular, after all of the above had happened on a project, I thought it would be wise to murder my machine. My weapon of choice would be whatever was closest to my hand. It so happened, a screwdriver was in reach. I grabbed the screwdriver and with a violent thrust, tried to drive the tool deep into the heart of the metal beast that was trying to destroy me. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to penetrate the thick metal skin of the beast. Instead, as the blade of the screwdriver slid harmlessly over the face of the machine, my knuckles drove hard into all of the thread guides, tension screws, etc., on the beast. When it was all said and done, there I sat with bloody knuckles, a ruined project, and a metal beast that was totally unfazed.

I've got a few other stories of temper tantrums involving my leather shop, but those will have to wait for another time. smashcomp.gif

5. When stitching up "another" duffle type bag I stitched on the handleson one side and then got side tracked in conversation. When I returnedto the task I picked up the other end of the strap for the handle onthe other side. Put it in place and stitched it in place. It was onlywhen all was stitched in place that I looked down and noticed thehandle was wrapped around the leg of the machine. 2 choices, unpick ordismantle the sewing machine table. The unpicker stayed on the toolboard and the spanner/wrench came off.

You are the one that made the huge duffel bag aren't you? lol When stitching up "another" duffle type bag

You are the one that made the huge duffel bag aren't you? lol When stitching up "another" duffle type bag

Good pick up Ryano. Alas, no it was not me. Geez I'd own up to that one.

OK. Sewing machine pranks.

1. Take out the bobbin on a friends machine and then get a foot or so of thread and poke it down the throat plate. Unsuspecting sewer comes along and sets up their nice sewing job. After a foot, oh oh bobbin is empty.

2. Wrap the top thread of said friends machine around and under the spool so after a wee bit the top thread snaps

3. Cut the top thread at the spool as it leaves the spool. Again after a small amount of sewing the pranked sewer runs out of top thread.

4. Be bold and just walk past your friend who is sewing with a pair of shears. As you walk past - snip and run for your life

5. Oldy but a goldy. Spray friends sewing chair with silicone spray. As they sit down, whoosh and they are on their ass.

6. Walk past and flick up friends reverse lever as they are sewing. This one is a legal defence for murder.

Good pick up Ryano. Alas, no it was not me. Geez I'd own up to that one.

OK. Sewing machine pranks.

1. Take out the bobbin on a friends machine and then get a foot or so of thread and poke it down the throat plate. Unsuspecting sewer comes along and sets up their nice sewing job. After a foot, oh oh bobbin is empty.

2. Wrap the top thread of said friends machine around and under the spool so after a wee bit the top thread snaps

3. Cut the top thread at the spool as it leaves the spool. Again after a small amount of sewing the pranked sewer runs out of top thread.

4. Be bold and just walk past your friend who is sewing with a pair of shears. As you walk past - snip and run for your life

5. Oldy but a goldy. Spray friends sewing chair with silicone spray. As they sit down, whoosh and they are on their ass.

6. Walk past and flick up friends reverse lever as they are sewing. This one is a legal defence for murder.

Hi Barra

here's one that was played on me at Melbourne Show in the 70's, never caught the culprit though. I was doing a Demo Saddle and had my Trusty 45k on its Treadle Stand (circa1891). Parlimentarians were approaching so I dutifully started pedaling nicely, suddenly the Thread Cop took a ride up to the take off bar and jammed, breaking the Thread, which caused me to muck up the highly visible border on the Doeskin covered Dressage Saddle. Cause a Blob of Araldite Glue on the thread!

The Premier did laugh as did the Ministers. Never did finish that beautiful Saddle.

But was invited back again after that, because of my patience ( I only swore under my Breath).

How about going 1.000 km's to fix a Machine that wouldn't Sew and finding the Needle was in back to front, because owner was looking from the back of the machine when I asked which way the groove was facing, left or right.

How about trying to solve the problem of New Machine not sewing for Customer 2.000 Km's away. So asked a mate to look at it. He confirmed it was not sewing so I prepared to travel. Another phone call before I catch the Plane and ask Customer which way is Flywheel turning? Oh like the Pearson, away from me. I didn't swear though just got him to flick the little switch he'd fiddled with to reverse the polarity. Gee Jim now it's sewing perfectly. Thanks Mate.

How about the experienced Old Operator who bought a Machine with safety Clutch, then wanted his money back as it woud not sew. I called in and noticed the Thread jammed in the Bobbin, unjammed it, re-set the Clutch and it sewed away perfectly. Darn he said thats a handy Gadget. Did you read the instructions I says. Yep he says, I cant read without my Glasses. Broke em the day before the Machine arrived so I looked at the pictures. He'd never used a Modern Machine before only 45K25's & Pearsons #6's

Good to be able to laugh now.

Please keep laughing.

Kindest Regards.

Jim Saddler.

The blob of araldite on the top thread. Going to lock that one in the memory banks. Might even give that one a trial run today.

Barra