I was lucky enough to attend a 2 day airbrushing course with Wayne Harrison, one of australia's leading airbrush artist. As well as getting some much need tutoring, he suggested some new paints that he uses when he airbrushes leather. He has airbrushed leather products for many famous people and swears that the products he uses will not crack or rub off. (he has not airbrushed bike seats so this might not apply to extreme high use areas). He is using automotive interior paints. Wayne says they use this when a customer wants his leather seats or interior trim the exact same color as his exterior paint. He uses the Dupont brand, which he buys in clear then adds the tint and then uses thinners to get the right consistancy for an airbrush. He says the dupont has 80 different colors but of course just a few can be bought and mixed to get lots of different colors. These paints are solvent based so he says the leather absorbs the color well.

You will have to excuse me if this is something that is common knowledge to alot of you but i am have lots of trouble finding a good range of paints that arent acrylic that can be used for airbrushing in australia.

This mans talent was amazing. He does lots of commerial automotive work as well as promotional work..he has done some amazing work for Sony on promotional Playstation consoles and PC towers.

The photo shown was a teaching piece he did..it took him all of 10 minutes. He used a basic skull stencil (his freehand work was even more impressive) and then added the shading and detail. A picture like this on a motorbike tank would get him $600!!!!!! The color example he did took him about 15 minutes.

I will be lookiing into this paint and will let you know what i find out.

Oh yeah, i finally bought myself a silent compressor.... the silence is bliss!!!!

Hope you like this skull spider!!!!

airbrushed_skull.gif

PS..i just checked the photo...some of the detail was lost on the scan, the spotty bits in the mouth and under the chin arent on the original ....sorry

post-4514-1208083494_thumb.jpg

Edited by leatheroo

What a skull, I'm blown away!!!

I'm very glad for all things posted on airbrush, I'm gonna have to get one but the money for it isn't in so I'm just taking in a much info as possible to make the most out of the purchase when it can be done. Oh and buying lottery tickets, lol.

Thanks Roo!

Tom

Thanks for the info, Roo. I'm looking into getting an airbrush too and all the info I can find beforehand is good. Didn't know they make silent compressors. Will definitely have to look for one of those. And yes, please keep us posted on those paints.

Hi Caroline,

I also am interested in any info anyone has on air brushing. I have one that I have hardly ever used. I'd love to take a course sometime so that I would have at least some idea of what I could do with it. Thanks for sharing the info on the paints.

15 min... wow and its good. You would not want to see my 15 min job lol Thanks for sharing. Thats some thing I would love to learn more about. I have a air brush but not that good at it. Probably if I did that paint job they would want 600. from me. lol ( for damages )

Edited by LarryB

just got some more information regarding the paint, shotgunwillie has used it and doesnt recommend it, says it drys out the leather...thanks willie

Anyone wanting more information on airbrushes should check out: http://airbrushtechnique.com/. Excellent people on there willing to help along with some tutorials on how to use and clean an air brush.

I have an airbrush (actually my ex wife now has an airbrush) and let me give everyone a bit of advice. Don't buy one of those little airbrush compressors, they don't have a tank so they need to pump continuously and they are very loud for their size. Instead, save some money by going down to the hardware store and buying one with a tank. I got a small one for around $30. make sure it has a pressure regulator, otherwise you will need to buy one so you don't blow 100 psi through the airbrush.

The great thing about the tank is that if you have pressure left over from the last time you used it you may not even need to plug it in to use it for small stuff.

You can also get silent compressors which is what a lot of air brush artists use at shows. Yeah, they run constantly but you would never know it.

Very interesting and cool!! I`d love to know more about the paint and painting leather.. awsome job!