Sign in to follow this  
TRICKYRAC

Cutting Out Patterns

I am new to leather working and have a done a few small projects for myself and have pretty much figured out most of the basics. Now I need some advice to clean up the rough edges on my work.

My main question is, what is the best way/tool to use to cut my patterns out? Right now I am using a utility knife that the bends and cuts my leather at an angle when I cut around corners. I want to learn how to cut a pattern and have smooth round corners and have the whole thing smooth and straight when I get done.

Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I am new to leather working and have a done a few small projects for myself and have pretty much figured out most of the basics. Now I need some advice to clean up the rough edges on my work.

My main question is, what is the best way/tool to use to cut my patterns out? Right now I am using a utility knife that the bends and cuts my leather at an angle when I cut around corners. I want to learn how to cut a pattern and have smooth round corners and have the whole thing smooth and straight when I get done.

Thanks in advance.

Are you certain that your utilty knife blade is bending? If so, you are either applying way too much pressure down, or you need to buy a better knife, and, or better blades. It may be that when you are cutting around corners

you are actually leaning your knife away from the leathers edge, afraid of cutting off of the scribed line. Most beginners do this. You have to keep the blade of whatever knife you use, at a 90 degree angle to the cutting surface all of the time. Practice and being cognizant of your cuttting angle will be the best teacher. Hope it helps.

Thanks for the tip. I know the blade is bending, cause I can see it bend, but like you said, I am probably putting too much pressure on it. The only thing about that is it seems like the leather won't cut unless I put a lot of pressure on it. I am just using an exacto knife. Should I use a better/bigger knife?

Thanks again.

Thanks for the tip. I know the blade is bending, cause I can see it bend, but like you said, I am probably putting too much pressure on it. The only thing about that is it seems like the leather won't cut unless I put a lot of pressure on it. I am just using an exacto knife. Should I use a better/bigger knife?

Thanks again.

I like using an exacto knife also .....but only on thin leather. Get a Stanley knife they have super sharpe blades,

i beleive you will like it better.

I prefer a round knife personally.

If you have to press hard on the blade to cut through leather, I figure it's because your knife isn't sharp enough. I've cut through 10oz vegetable tanned leather with an exacto knife with no problem. It was strooped before hand and I'll stroop as soon as the knife doesn't cut clean. A strooping board here is your best friend. They are easy to make and are worth 10 times their cost.

Thank you all for the replies!!!

Let me ask this... Does the leather need to be cased before I cut it, or should it be dry?

Thank you all for the replies!!!

Let me ask this... Does the leather need to be cased before I cut it, or should it be dry?

sometimes....if the leather is cased it is going to get Marked UP more than you want it to be.

you'll just have to experiment.........

Thanks Luke.

Thanks in advance.

TRICKYRAC, I do things a little differently than most...but it works well for me. I first transfer my pattern to cased leather with a ball point stylus. Next I use a swivel knife with a filigree blade to enhance the marks from the stylus...it won't cut through the full thickness of leather, BUT, it gives me an exact line to follow with a 'dedicated' knife (one that is used to only cut leather). I finally cut out the pattern following in the impression made by the swivel knife. A couple of pics of my tools used. The 'dedicated knife is a "Murphy" knife and is about 70 yrs old. Mike

004-8.jpg

005-4.jpg