JamesR

leather dressings and linen

Does anyone know if leather dressings harm linen thread, if so which ones are safe?

Thanks.

Linen has been found in 2000 year old graves; I think that unless you're dressing your leather with kerosene and fire you should be fine.

Linen has been found in 2000 year old graves; I think that unless you're dressing your leather with kerosene and fire you should be fine.

Tashabear,

The reason I asked was because I was told that boot makers stopped using linen because petroleum based products could damage it, not sure if its true.

Thanks

Jim

After thirty years of repairs, petroleum products don't seem to be good for "natural" products in my non scientific, stilted opinion and experience. I think the real reason people use nylon over linen (ok, flax) is price and ease of use, in general.

I finally started using nylon because people want their thread to match the leather or whatever you'r sewing. They don't realize companies started doing that to hide their mediocre work. If I'm making something though, it still gets a contrasting thread if I'm handsewing. Some days it just feels like an uphill battle trying to educate customers. But then there are the good days and customers that make it all worthwhile.

OK I'll stop now,

Kevin

Tashabear,

The reason I asked was because I was told that boot makers stopped using linen because petroleum based products could damage it, not sure if its true.

Thanks

Jim

Were you planning on dressing your leather with Vaseline? ;-)

Were you planning on dressing your leather with Vaseline? ;-)

Tashabear,

Vaseline, I don't know does it work?

Some neatfoot oil and pecards dressing have petroleum products in them, there are others.

Jim

Tashabear,

Vaseline, I don't know does it work?

Some neatfoot oil and pecards dressing have petroleum products in them, there are others.

Jim

The reason for the switch to synthetic threads was purely commercial. The new breed of Bean Counters wanted to make more money that they could control the margins (exhorbitant Profits)from start to finish. Hey presto Petroleum products! Linen has too many inputs From Farmers, Mills, Trades people and the like. So we are told of all the fantastic new Threads and Linen (Hemp) is pushed to the backburner. Also the Bean counters like Petroleum products so much that "New Leather/Saddle Dressings are discovered(?). Unfortunately the Bean counters only looked at the Profits and not at the fancy name products Like "Shiny new" " and like names and their Petro/Turpentine type bases or Silicone content. Result; Petro/Turpentine etc disolves Beeswax Dubbins and Fats used in The Best Thread Dressings and Leathers, leaving the Linen and Veg leathers unprotected. By the same token Synthetic Threads are also affected by the same Petro type Dressings and enhanced UV damage results. So where are we going? Go back is the catch word. Use natural Materials if you want a product to last the Test of time. Avoid petro Based Dressing and Threads when using Veg Tan Leathers. For short term fixes go with the Bean Counters (CEO's) and make them lots of money.

Kindest Regards.

Jim.

The reason for the switch to synthetic threads was purely commercial. The new breed of Bean Counters wanted to make more money that they could control the margins (exhorbitant Profits)from start to finish. Hey presto Petroleum products! Linen has too many inputs From Farmers, Mills, Trades people and the like. So we are told of all the fantastic new Threads and Linen (Hemp) is pushed to the backburner. Also the Bean counters like Petroleum products so much that "New Leather/Saddle Dressings are discovered(?). Unfortunately the Bean counters only looked at the Profits and not at the fancy name products Like "Shiny new" " and like names and their Petro/Turpentine type bases or Silicone content. Result; Petro/Turpentine etc disolves Beeswax Dubbins and Fats used in The Best Thread Dressings and Leathers, leaving the Linen and Veg leathers unprotected. By the same token Synthetic Threads are also affected by the same Petro type Dressings and enhanced UV damage results. So where are we going? Go back is the catch word. Use natural Materials if you want a product to last the Test of time. Avoid petro Based Dressing and Threads when using Veg Tan Leathers. For short term fixes go with the Bean Counters (CEO's) and make them lots of money.

Kindest Regards.

Jim.

Jimsaddler,

Thank you, I already purchased my linen cord and I just did not want to mess things up with the wrong leather dressing.

Jim