79Briggs

What Type Of Leather Is This

The blue stuff is. Who knows what's under the thinner leather. As long as it's stiff/flexible enough for your application, all I'd care about is whether Barge will melt it.

It's not uncommon that people use cardboard, mat, or even thin pieces of wood to give structure to handbangs and briefcases, so don't worry about whether the material you choose is "weird". What works, works.

We are all pretty new to leather working around here, and what we were looking at what leather weight would work best for replicating this piece. My wife is a seamstress so the dummy portion of this isn't a challenge, identifying the leather is always our problem when we are looking at other peoples pieces ;P

Thanks again for you time guys

The underneath is probably lt wt chap leather or upholstery leather, the plates probably sole bends

The material that the armor scales are attached to looks to be leather and the scales might be buffalo hide, which is used in SCA armor pretty often in my area.

If the piece isn't going to be used in any kind of combat, you could get away with using about 6oz easily and safely.

I believe this armor is made of cloth and fiberglassed cloth scales and lames. I think the only actual leather is the brown shoulder straps. If you're looking to create armor like this for SCA or larp, you should check with the particular organization as they have their own guidelines (leather must be 10 or 12oz or 13-15oz, etc)

If you're going for a costume and need no real physical protection, you could probably use 4-6oz or 6-8oz leather.