Hi Everyone

After having more than one horrible and I mean horrible experience with buying supplies from small time vendors I felt compelled to praise Tandy. Wish I could pour my heart out to you all but for fear of reprisals I won't at least for now. I was naive in thinking most leather people are good folks like the members on this form. Sadly I have been proven wrong.

Anyhow still in need of supplies my husband and I drove the more than two hour trip one way to our "local" Tandy in Baltimore. Not only was the store in a nice new location. Their stock was fantastic! Even the economy sides where really great. They were having a sale so the prices were better than I found anywhere else. They are even better this weekend for anyone who can get to one. The staff were helpful and nice and best of all I know if I do have a problem they will make good on it. The few times I have had to exchange or return something they have dealt with it promptly and courteously. All in all a wonderful experience especially after the things I experienced this summer.

I used to save up my money all year so I could shop in person from small vendors at a large reenactment event I attend. Even paying a bit more for things was OK because it felt good to help out small vendors but not anymore. I am done with that. Tandy gets my business from now on at least the Baltimore store has never done me wrong.

Thanks for listening have a great weekend everyone,

Cheers, Toolingaround

Edited by Toolingaround

I go to the Baltimore Tandy store alot. They are a very good place, with helpful friendly staff and lots of stuff to chose from.

Toolingaround,

I have been doing Leather work for about 60 years. When I first started TANDY was about the only place to buy leather and supplies. I stopped doing leather craft for a while. When I started back up I was you might say disapointed in the quality of the leather Tandy was selling. Even thier top grade is not as good as some dealers # 2 quality. Once in a while if get there early you can find a good piece of tooling leather. As a rule the quality is not that good.

Everyony has different opinions of who is better at what. So if you are you are happy with Tandy then that is all that counts.

Texas Phil

Hi Texas Phil

I agree there stuff is not as it once was. I have some scrap leather I bought from the son of a deceased leather worker. I know he bought the majority of his tools and leather from Tandy, not all but most. Every now and again I will tool on a piece of his scrap that is just divine and I wonder where and when he got it. Someday I would like to order from Wicket and Craig directly. Unfortunately I unwisely trusted a merchant this summer I should not have. I ended up with no leather and my money in dispute so was very grateful that the economy leather (all I could afford now) from Tandy was so nice. But yes I dream of Herman Oak and Wicket and Craig :-)

The Baltimore Tandy Store has always treated me right and I felt they deserved a thank you and to let people know how nice the new store is.

Cheers, Toolingaround

Sounds like at least the Baltimore Tandy is doing a good job.

I've noticed more and more it doesn't matter where you go to get good product and service, it mostly isn't provided.

I'm inclined to agree with the positive sentiments above. The Tacoma store, which the closest one to me, has always been a great resource. The new manager was somewhat new to leather when he started, but what he lacked in experience, he more than made up for in his willingness to learn and offer up assistance as best as can. The previous manager had been with Tandy since the early 60's and was a walking encyclopedia of leather knowledge, but sadly passed away due to medical complications, so there was some pretty big shoes to fill. Each and every time I have been there, it's been a great experience.

I hit the one in Vegas when in a pinch for dye or something small, grabbed an economy hide just the other day as they were on sale and I needed one. But the majority of my leather need is lambskin. I'm pretty sure theirs is about a hundred bucks for 6' as opposed to 55- from the Hide House in California or many other sources on ebay and etsy for even less. I know Tandy has a discount system but I figure money is saved from not having to drive the half hour if I just order online. They are friendly and helpful but double the price for the leather I need. Funny because the tools and such are about the same rate as anywhere.

Nice to see some good words about Tandy :) I would love to be able to visit one here but there's only one in Australia and it's an 11 hour drive - or as the Aussies say, 'Just down the road, mate!'

If it were not for Tandy, I'd never have had the privilege of getting into leatherworking. Every retail store has their issues, but the fort worth store has been beyond helpful. They taught me a great deal early on with their classes, and have bent over backwards to help my sister and I out on some crazy projects. They have great customer service, and have never given me any trouble with a return (sometimes a year later!). Some of their products don't stand up to Fiebings and other competitors, but for easy access and diverse selection, they can't be beat.

I too do a lot business with Tandy. Fortunately I am only a 45 minute drive from the Birmingham store. Like all businesses that deal with merchandise like leather there are times when the stock is up and the stock is down to left overs. Being able to go in and pick my sides I have gotten some extremely good deals. They treat me like a valued customer and are willing to go the extra mile to get me what I need.

I usually buy the top quality leather and have had no problems except when I got cheap and tried to use economy grade. You get what you pay for so don't buy an economy side or double shoulder and expect high grade European leather.

I have used every dye available and keep coming back to Tandy's water based dyes that some on this forum have complained about. They have good quality products for those willing to pay for it and economy leathers for beginners to learn with.

But I too have no problem with Tandy. I can't speak for the other stores but the Birmingham, Alabama store is well managed and staffed with the best people I have every done business with.

I've not been happy with their leather and most of the tooling for a while. As I only been doing leather for about10 months it was what I knew, but seeing and using differ tools I see the other side of the coin so to speak, sometimes I still have to buy something there. But if they do move the home office to China I will be out with Tandy. I just feel sorry for their managers and employees they are the only reason a lot of people still go there.

Always good--Always bad-------

I have had some very good experiences with Tandy, especially the Birmingham/Hoover, Alabama store.

Been with them since Montgomery, Al. store and followed them to Hoover. Good folks and great service. Always willing to help and go the extra mile.

I have had times that merchandise was not as I wished from several other vendors and found that correcting a situation was, at times, very difficult. Never experienced the problem with "my" Tandy store.

I feel certain that we have had good times and bad times with things in life and some folks never wish to give a vendor a second chance and discontinue using their services/products. I have had many bad days and those were days that I felt I could never get things to go my way, but, as with all things, even this shall pass away if we step back and readjust to cope with life's issues.

If you want to have a few GOOD, experiences with Tandy, call the Birmingham store and speak with Mgr. Chance or his great assistants, Craig and Matt. Great folks and I suppose that my only complaint is the distance to the store. Not able to travel these days.

Have fun, enjoy the craft and look towards the brighter side of things.

God Bless.

Ray