BigRiverLeather

Good source for Sharkskin or exotics

Can anyone give me a good source for purchasing Sharkskin, Elephant or other exotics? I've found only a couple of places. One required a $1,500 minimum order and I'd like to find some other sources to compare pricing.

It's easy to find Stingray or snake skin, or even crocodile. The Sharkskin and Elephant is what eludes me the most and the most desireable for me right now.

I see others charge a $40 - $50 upcharge for Sharkskin. From what I've seen I would be lucky to break even at that.

Thanks,

Scott

Can anyone give me a good source for purchasing Sharkskin, Elephant or other exotics? I've found only a couple of places. One required a $1,500 minimum order and I'd like to find some other sources to compare pricing.

It's easy to find Stingray or snake skin, or even crocodile. The Sharkskin and Elephant is what eludes me the most and the most desireable for me right now.

I see others charge a $40 - $50 upcharge for Sharkskin. From what I've seen I would be lucky to break even at that.

Thanks,

Scott

check out www.ostrich market.com for the shark. I recently bought 2 skins, one black and one brown, both about 7.5 sq/ft each cost around $130. beautiful skins. For elephant Ive been dealing with Kevin at springfield leather.

I have to agree with Ostrich Market as well, though I do live close to them and make holsters and sheaths for them.Hank has a good supply on hand, just delivered some holsters last week and picked up some shark and gator.Dave

Great info, thank you.

If I understand correctly, when working with Shark, say as trim on a reinforced mouth, or belt loops, one should put it on top of leather reinforcement or the loops rather than just using the sharkskin alone for the reinforcement, correct?

When layered on top of cow or horsehide, are there any special steps required for burninshing my edges other than the standard techniques?

I would definately put some veg-tan underneath, the shark is very strong but is also soft to the touch. I sand and burnish it the standard way.Dave

I finally ordered some Sharkskin and Elephant from Henry at Ostrich Market. What great people to deal with. I'm all a-tingle now to get my new hides and dress up some leather. It actually was not as expensive as I thought it was going to be $97 for a 5 sq ft piece which should provide quite a bit of workable material. He had some elephant scraps cut out that he made me a deal on too. I feel a long term relationship has just begun.

Henry spoke highly of you Dave wink.gif

Are you guys buying exotics in various colors or are you dyeing them yourselves?

Bronson

Edited by Bronson

I usually buy mine already dyed in my most popular colors, which are black, dark brown, and tan.I only buy bright colors like red,or green on special orders and that is priced higher so I can recover the cost of having those colors on hand.Dave

+1 for Ostrich Market. Henry was great to work with. Took the time to find out what I was producing, my level of expertise and hand picked a hide that he felt I would be happy with. Got the skin and he hit the mark on every level. Smooth shark in chestnut brown - what a gorgeous hide. I almost feel bad cutting it up!

Kind of a dumb question but I don't have much experience with shark and elephant. Does it come in different weights like veg tan? If not what is the average thickness of the elephant and shark and what is it's texture ie: firmness? I'd like to use some for trim on holsters but don't have a clue what to ask for. Thanks

Kind of a dumb question but I don't have much experience with shark and elephant. Does it come in different weights like veg tan? If not what is the average thickness of the elephant and shark and what is it's texture ie: firmness? I'd like to use some for trim on holsters but don't have a clue what to ask for. Thanks

As far as I know there are not different weights. What I got was about the thickness of a 4 oz give or take. Surprisingly soft and flexible yet very durable, a bit more than an equivelent weight in cowhide. I've not yet cut it or punched it yet so I don't know if that is much more difficult, but with a sharp blade I don't expect it to be to much trouble.

I'm looking forward to my first exotic trim. I only hope I can make one for myself before I get to my customers order!

I'll try to take some close up pictures this afternoon and play with it a little.

Thanks BRL I look forward to seeing the pics.

You might also want to try rojeleather.com they are a real good source too, a few years ago their shark was around $3.00 sf. I'm sure it's gone up by now, but it's still a place to check out.

Here are the pictures of the Elephant and Sharkskin. First the Elephant -

This is a remnant from a boot cut that did not match the other. I paid $30 for this piece, not bad IMHO.

charcoalelephant3.jpg

charcoalelephant.jpg

Very soft yet tough -

charcoalelephant2.jpg

Nest the sharkskin. This cut has many different textures to it throughout the cut. Other than a few small spots, all of it should be usable.

I think this piece was about $50-$60

blacksharkskin.jpg

blacksharkskin3.jpg

blacksharkskin4.jpg

blacksharkskin5.jpg

blacksharkskin6.jpg

blacksharkskin7.jpg

I'm anxious to use this. I gave a holster away on a gun forum as a karma and I think I wll put sharkskin on the reinforecment as a bonus, just so I can practice. If it doesn't turn out perfect, he cant bitch about a freebie :)

Wow! That is one nice looking piece of shark skin. Be sure and post photos of the holster before you ship it out. Good Luck.

rojeleather has some really nice shark in black and brown at $17/SQFT 4-7 SQ/FT HIDES and elephant at $25/26ft sides and ears at $27.50/sqft. Check out their youtube videos to see the quality and description.

Hi.... I've almost always got elephant for 14.99 per sq ft.... But the color availability changes pretty rapidly, because we seem to sell it fairly rapidly.

Kevin@springfieldleather.com

Hi.... I've almost always got elephant for 14.99 per sq ft.... But the color availability changes pretty rapidly, because we seem to sell it fairly rapidly.

Kevin@springfieldleather.com

Well then.... I guess I should have "asked Kevin"! I'll be sure to give you a call next time. For some reason I did not think you carried much in the way of exotics. Do you carry Shark?

Well then.... I guess I should have "asked Kevin"! I'll be sure to give you a call next time. For some reason I did not think you carried much in the way of exotics. Do you carry Shark?

I second that. Kevin. Do you carry shark? Also how large a piece is your elephant in? ie: avg sq/ft?

Just got in my order of two shark skins from rojeleather. One black and one dark brown. These are excellent veg tanned skins great figure and temper and clean flesh side makes for an easy glue up. At least 90% useable. I'm really pleased.

Im looking for a deep red shiny gator Gator I was wondering who might have some of this to buy?

-Andrew

Im looking for a deep red shiny gator Gator I was wondering who might have some of this to buy?

-Andrew

Check Here, they have red hornback