tnhomestead

Good Projects For Sale At Fair?

Getting back in leather, have a craft fair in 6 weeks. Will be selling some pens, but wondering what simple leather projects I can do that may sell? Was thinking some key fobs, dog collars and maybe a belt or 3. Will display some holsters I hope to try for some custom work. So if anyone has any ideas please let me know -- thanks!

If you're selling pens, why not make up some leather pen cases!?

Bill

Be careful about selling belts as you will find that you will never have the size anyone needs on hand and if you do anything to them (stamp/carve and tool) you will never have the design or color that people want. I don't even have finished belts in my studio; I have a sampling of various designs and color combinations (all from previously made belts) that I put out and when someone asks we start the process of creating their custom belt and getting the proper measurements. You can however come up with some small items such as card wallets, coin purses, and things like that as they tend to be just like an impulse buy item.

The most important thing is not "what do I take", . . . but rather "what does the market want".

My market is simply the folks with CHL's who need a belt, a holster, and a mag carrier.

I haven't been to a show for a couple years, . . . but when I went, that's what I took. Finished belts, finished mag carriers, finished holsters. Most of the guys in my target market seem to run in the 38 to 44 inch belt size, . . . they like plain belts, . . . black and brown, . . . and I would have 6 or so belts with me that met those requirements, . . . along with several holsters for 1911, Glock, and snubby .38 revolver.

I did not ever clean my table at the show, . . . but I had sales, . . . and made contacts. Sometimes the latter is more important.

Yes, . . . making stuff up ahead of time can be discouraging when it does not sell at the show, . . . but for all that, . . . we have Ebay, . . . and I have sold just about everything I've ever put up there or on Gunbroker.

Anyway, . . . go do some "market research", . . . it'll pay off.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks Dwight -- Kinda what I was thinking on -- just show off some products, bring some smaller items as well to sell. I really appreciate the advice on the belts and the holsters, was thinking Glocks but dont have one for a pattern -- will ask around, have several friends with FFL's that may have one I can borrow. Didnt think of the belts that small, I am kinda large -- about 6'10 so I dont think of smaller sizes, but will do -- shouldnt be a problem selling them around here!

Again, thanks a lot!