SeventhSon

Leather Wrapped Gas Tank

Anyone tried wrapping a gas tank? I have an extra sportster tank lying around so Id like to give it a try, any thoughts or tips? If anyones done it before id love to see pics

Anyone tried wrapping a gas tank? I have an extra sportster tank lying around so Id like to give it a try, any thoughts or tips? If anyones done it before id love to see pics

I do quite a few whaletail bibs where the bottom is wrapped. The only difference with a tail only and a full body wrap would be the time to wet form it. The biggest tips I can give you is make sure it's very well cased and I wouldn't try to go much above 6/7oz on the weight. Some of those compound curves can be hell to form if the leather it too thick. Binder clamps or spring clamps make great ways to hold the leather on the tank seam. To keep the clamps & clips from making harsh marks, put a small piece of scrap leather between the clip and the leather being formed.

Other than that, take the time to figure out where you can clamp to before starting. Nothing sucks more than to start a wrap and realize the end you're working on has nowhere to clamp to. Also, plan for 1/8-1/4" of shrinkage anywhere you really have to massage the leather over a curve. As it dries it can really tighten up in any area that is straight/flat, the curves will pull on the straights a great deal. If possible, cut any holes smalller than needed, etc. You can always trim & cut to final shapes later.

Here's the one I wrapped this weekend. Enjoy!

Chris

post-10543-067871100 1315199548_thumb.jp

Christian, from Xianleather.com, has done it. With spectacular result I might add.

You can see it here.

I believe he is also a member here.

John

Christian, from Xianleather.com, has done it. With spectacular result I might add.

You can see it here.

I believe he is also a member here.

John

I don't think he is a member here I believe he's been invited but as he is quite busy he has stuck to his main haunts of club chopper and the jockey journal. He hasn't updated his main threads at those places in awhile though either. I think he has a Facebook page though but I'm not a member so don't know if he shows work there more often now.

Clair

Ya, I LOVE Christian's stuff. I have been a JJ head for years and I thought my wirk was decent until I saw his and my jaw hit the floor, the guy is a true artist.

Paul Cox. gorgeous.

8175Picture_0141.jpg

I did this one in May for an Ironnead for the Stampede. All I can say is REALLY plan it out ahead of time. I trimmed a lot of excess off, but... that's okay with me. I would have gone ballistic if I wound up short after all that work! This is my first picture post, so I apologize if they are too big or too small, etc.post-22339-033803200 1315663818_thumb.jppost-22339-076980900 1315663851_thumb.jppost-22339-005939500 1315663887_thumb.jp

excellent tank!!!!

Are they removable? The reason I ask is that I had a magnetic sign for my shop on the door of my ambulance for awhile. When I removed it, the paint was lifting in spots. I could see where a leather wrap would hold moisture against the surface that could lead to rust, or paint problems. My other concern would be paint damage from the leather scuffing due to vibrations. I don't own a bike, so that is why I am asking.

excellent tank!!!!

Thanks Leatheroo.

I must admit I was a little nervous posting mine after Paul Cox's:unsure:

Are they removable? The reason I ask is that I had a magnetic sign for my shop on the door of my ambulance for awhile. When I removed it, the paint was lifting in spots. I could see where a leather wrap would hold moisture against the surface that could lead to rust, or paint problems. My other concern would be paint damage from the leather scuffing due to vibrations. I don't own a bike, so that is why I am asking.

BIGGUNDOCTOR, I can only speak in regards to my tank, but that baby is never coming off! Every outside surface of that tank is covered in leather including the tunnel and tabs. As far as rust... between the sun and heat of the motor it dries quickly... And if the day should come when she no longer holds fuel I'm sure she'll earn a prominent spot on the wall over his bar!!

This is something that Im about to try for my fuel tank. My tank cover must be removalable. Im doing to protect the custom paint on my tank, I will keep it covered for everyday riding and only romove it where it is not likely to be damaged by ferral kids.

The pictures in this thread are brilliant and inspiring. Thanks for posting.

Thanks Leatheroo.

I must admit I was a little nervous posting mine after Paul Cox's:unsure:

i do that all the time. think i'm getting a handle on things and progressing well, then BAM! i see someone elses work that makes me feel like a 2year old trying to do this.

your tank looks good. i like it. :clapping:

ok so i had posted this a while back and now the covered tank thing comes up again! well hell here is what i came up with and not ashamed to admit it was my 1st go at doing a complete wrap...

IMG_20110630_055122.jpg

IMG_20110630_055151.jpg

BIGGUNDOCTOR, I can only speak in regards to my tank, but that baby is never coming off! Every outside surface of that tank is covered in leather including the tunnel and tabs. As far as rust... between the sun and heat of the motor it dries quickly... And if the day should come when she no longer holds fuel I'm sure she'll earn a prominent spot on the wall over his bar!!

I'm now considering wrapping my whole bike in leather rather than doing a paint job, how is this attached to the tank?

Christian, Xian, is the best I have ever seen, his work is very outstanding, I often refer many people to him, I only do my leather werx for myself, and the wife, and for my fellow church members, I tend to ramble a bit too much, which makes other people assume I am trying to push my things upon them, after people from other forums accuse me of trying to force them to buy my things, I refer them to Xian, and others, just to get them to shut up. It seems crazy for one guy to have so many chops that are very extremely covered with extremely tooled leather, When I show them what I own, they instantly assume I am showing off what I did for other people's bikes and chops, when all along the ones I am showing are the wife's and my own chops and bikes, that I did go way over board on covering with way too much tooled leather!!! But, for really outstanding quality of tooled leather, Xian is at the top, there are others who are very great at tooling, I just get a little excited when it comes to custom leather creations, and it shows, when I look at other people's motor bikes, I prefer to see the whole bike without a human in the way of the art work that is on the bike, this is where people also assume I am trying to force them into buying my things. I really wonder why people don't like tooled leather anything, it really adds great value to anything when it is tooled up extreme, showing off art work this way!!! I am very glad I am not depending on my leather work for my income, not that it would not sell, it would then become a daily routine, kinda like how I felt about my job I had before I got severely crunched by a car while on the way to that daily job!!! This is where I get to rambling, I did lose half of my brain, and when I get excited about tooled leather anything, which is quite often, I really ramble too much! Kinda like this reply, look at how much I typed about this topic, which I really did not stick with the topic at all!!! Sorry if this irritates anyone!!! I am very good at being a common irritant, just crumble up some anti irritant pills, and blow them my way, and I will ,,POOF! disappear!!!!

I'm now considering wrapping my whole bike in leather rather than doing a paint job, how is this attached to the tank?

Hi Hell Bent,

It was hand punched & sewn down both sides of the tunnel. What a PITA!!

i do that all the time. think i'm getting a handle on things and progressing well, then BAM! i see someone elses work that makes me feel like a 2year old trying to do this.

your tank looks good. i like it. :clapping:

I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL! Every time I see Christian's sight and have been spying on him for a couple years now, and sent him emails with no reply back from him....ANYWAY....................!

Ya I want to smash some stuff!

Your tank is AWESOME!

Paul's was sort of easier because of the scaling, but yours is like shrink wrapped! WELL DONE! I have been waiting for someone to bring me a tank!....SOMEONE...ANYONE:::?!?!?!?!? ;) I AM GAME!