wlg190861

Phone Case

I am trying to make a phone case with herman oak molded, an the problem I am running into is, how to attatch the belt loop on the back. I tried to sew it on befor I sew the case itself, But it gets hung up on the sewing machine an messes up the stitching. How can I attach the loop.

Thanks

Dan :clapping::cowboy:

Can you take some photos so we can see what you're making?

Here is a piece I was messing around with. Don't look at the stitching I as just figuring things out but the problem is on the first try is the belt loop kept hanging up on the machine how am I going to put a belt loop on this ?

post-39507-0-33535100-1393401588_thumb.j

post-39507-0-11345900-1393401659_thumb.j

I don't have a machine strong enough to sew leather that thick and I don't know what yours is, but it might be as silly as can you turn it over or does your machine have a flat base?

Also, my suggestion for attaching a loop after it is constructed like that, you can use rivets to secure the belt loop. http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/search/searchresults/8105-00.aspx

Slide the flat side of the cap tool inside the phone case, lay a scrap piece of leather on top so you can punch the holes, and then use the same idea to set the rivets.

I hope I explained that ok :)

I have a cowboy 4500, an It would not work to sew with the case face side down,even if you could, you would not because the bobbin stitch never look as god as a to top stitch. As far a inviting, I thought abut t but I think you would marr the front of the case by pounding on it.

Edited by wlg190861

Personally with that type of case I'd hand sew. It's not difficult, there's a pinned post on this board for saddle stitch and all you need's a couple of needles, an awl and a stitch marker. I'd also just use the one row of stitches and trim closer to the line of the formed piece.

Thank you Raven I was afraid of hearing that I would have to hand stitch. Hoping there was a different way but it is what it is. I agree with you on the 2 line stitching, it don't look right. I wanted to see what it would look like.

thank you and have a wonderful day

Dan :cowboy:

Thank you for the reply. I need all the help I can get LOL

Dan :cowboy:

Honestly, it's not that hard :) I find doing a project that size quite relaxing these days. I'll sit in front of the pc and sew away - heck, I even laced up one pouch sat in bed while the Mrs was reading!

For this type, I'd fix the 2 pieces together with some double sided tape, punch the holes (I use a 4-prong chisel mostly), take them apart again so I could fit the belt loop then sew them together.If you're doing 50 or something then yeah, find a way to machine them, but 1? Hand sew it :)

I also agree with something so small to just use one line of stitches. Yes, hand stitching is always a good option as well.

Also, here is a photo of what I mean by riveting the loop. Sorry I keep sending links instead of the pics :) This is just the first google image I saw. There are many ways to do it/styles. http://www.amazon.com/Taurus-Sneaky-Pete-Holster-Belt/dp/B005H3DOY4

:cowboy::cowgirl:

I'll play around and see what I come up with

I have had this problem before, what i did was to make a narrow loop then i had clearance to sew.

I'de sew the loop on before assembly.

Thats what I did was, sew the loop on first but, it would get caught on the throat plate am screw the stitching up

Oh, now that I think about it, I think I had the table that is for the sewing machine on. Now I feel stupid. I will try one in the next few day's Sorry all. I guess my thinker isn't thinking.

Thank you

Dan :quiet::cowboy:

I have made several of these and here is what I do... I will find one and post the pic in a bit.

Mold the leather for the top iece

let it dry

glue the two pieces together

using a 1/16" drill bit, pre-drill your holes and then stitch away.