KnotHead

Edge Braided Key Fob

I decided to spend my Christmas morning doing my favorite thing. Doing some braiding. Started this last night and finished it this morning.

Compressed 1 to 5 start, 1 to 7 edge braid, Compressed 1 to 5 finish. The lace size is about a 1.2mm to a 1.3mm...

post-1307-098520500 1324840457_thumb.jpg post-1307-040579300 1324840462_thumb.jpg post-1307-054975400 1324840465_thumb.jpg post-1307-007213400 1324840468_thumb.jpg

B...

Edited by KnotHead

I love this key fob....can you explain what 1 to 5 compressed and 1 to 7 means??

cheers

Okay.

In through hole 1 out through hole 5 = Compressed start and finish.

In through hole 1 out through hole 7 = 1 to 7 braid.

Thanks for the kind comment also. It is much appreciated.

B...

Nice as always... good work! And what a great way to spend a holiday.

Well thank you for the very kind comment and to all who kindly commented. The key fob went to my niece for a Christmas present. I think she liked it. I'll admit I had started this fob on Christmas eve and finished it on Christmas morning. LOL...

B...

Okay.

In through hole 1 out through hole 5 = Compressed start and finish.

In through hole 1 out through hole 7 = 1 to 7 braid.

Thanks for the kind comment also. It is much appreciated.

B...

I've been admiring your edge brading in some of your other posts and I have also wondered how you do this braid/pattern. I've seen your "1 to 5 and 1 to 7 and compressed," description but I've never seen and instruction for this method in print or on line. It there any instructional info on how to do this out there or is it something someone has to show you? I just read what you said about "in hole one and out hole 5," is this pattern similar to a mexican round braid just over a longer span of holes or are there some other differences?

It sure does look good!!!!!! I like to learn how to do it.

Thanks

Bill

I got all my instructions from the book Braided Borders by Enrique Capone. The book costs $42.00 and is worth the price for sure. Here's the link to the book,

Briaded Borders - Enrique Capone

I've never done the mexican round braid as far as a braided border goes. So this pattern uses the over 2, under 2 pattern when you get to that point in the braid. The span is a hole 1 to hole 7. So it does span a longer distance and gives my better coverage and looks fuller when done. This pattern of course takes on that look of the herringbone type braid.

Hope that helps a bit. Feel free to ask anymore questions.

B....

I got all my instructions from the book Braided Borders by Enrique Capone. The book costs $42.00 and is worth the price for sure. Here's the link to the book,

I've never done the mexican round braid as far as a braided border goes. So this pattern uses the over 2, under 2 pattern when you get to that point in the braid. The span is a hole 1 to hole 7. So it does span a longer distance and gives my better coverage and looks fuller when done. This pattern of course takes on that look of the herringbone type braid.

B....

Thanks for the reply! I think what you have done is an expanded version of the Mexican round braid, I think that one goes from hole 1 to hole 4 and ends up with the over 2, under 2 pattern. I have used it several times but have to go back to look at the instructions to get started. I guess I'd better grab this book, a guy can't have too many instructional books. LOL! I may play with your braid and see if I can do it, it sure looks good.

I have a pair of reins that I got from Gene Flaten in a trade and on those he has wear leathers on the loops to connect the reins to the bit, he used some kind of elaborate edge braid on those and out of some tiny roo string. I will ask him what that one is called. I looks similar to yours only seems more "elongated," or stretched out, if that makes any sense. It's very full looking as well.

Thanks again!

Bill

There is a lot of room with these types of braids to experiment with and see if you can find your own touch to it. I know that Ron Edwards has a couple more fast back edge braids out, like the 1 to 5, 1 to 8, 1 to 9 and so on. But I have not seen any of those yet. I am searching for them though. ehehehe... I spotted in one of my Argentine books an edge braid that took on the gaucho look in two colors. That one will be really neat to do. I am going to move on to the 2 and 3 string versions of these braids to see what I can come up with myself. These are fun to do. But really annoying to take apart when you need to correct a mistake. That would be the only down side to this style of braiding.

I sure would like to see a photo of those reins. Maybe I can help identify the braid.

B...

There is a lot of room with these types of braids to experiment with and see if you can find your own touch to it. I know that Ron Edwards has a couple more fast back edge braids out, like the 1 to 5, 1 to 8, 1 to 9 and so on. But I have not seen any of those yet. I am searching for them though. ehehehe... I spotted in one of my Argentine books an edge braid that took on the gaucho look in two colors. That one will be really neat to do. I am going to move on to the 2 and 3 string versions of these braids to see what I can come up with myself. These are fun to do. But really annoying to take apart when you need to correct a mistake. That would be the only down side to this style of braiding.

I sure would like to see a photo of those reins. Maybe I can help identify the braid.

B...

Ok, I'll try to take some pix of the reins that do a decent job of showing that braid. Now that you mention the Argentine books, that may be where this braid came from because I know Gene has a couple of books from down there and I he spends some time with Nate Wald and I think has met Pablo Lozano and Armando Defarrari when they've been in the States. I will ask him what that little braid is, it looks like a herringbone of some kind. I'll try to get the pix in the next couple of days.

Bill

B....

This is an awsome edge braid! What about videos? I do better watching someone in action, rather than looking at still pictures or illustrations, know of any good videos on the subject? I'd love to learn how this is done!

As far as videos go. I would not be able to give any type of accurate info on that. I have not seen any videos done on this subject yet. Maybe someone else knows of some videos done on this.

B...

Brian,

Very neat. Nicely done my friend. As you mentioned there are many options to try. I just came back from Argentina and I saw one border that has some kind of a O2, U2, O1, U1, O2, U2 pattern. I bought a hobble with this border and I will try to decode it. It should be very easy.

Cheers,

Enrique

I can't wait till you do decode that one. I would love to try that one myself. Thanks for the gracious comments also. Welcome home also.

Brian...

Hell Bent 4 Leather;

There is a feller on youtube that has the 1 to 5 and 1 to 7 edge braid videos. You will find him by the name of El Rincon Del Soguero (Rawhider or Leather Worker's Corner ).