cjhabermehl

Stamping Help/ideas?

Hello everyone, I'm brand new to leathercraft and to this site so I hope you'll be patient with me. I'm designing a tooling template for a leather journal, I know how I want it to look, but I'm unsure which stamps to use to produce the image. I have a swivel knife, camouflage, beveler, pear shader, veiner, seeder, and background tool. I've attached my design so far, I know what I want to do with the outermost border; it's the compass rose that I'm unsure of. I'd greatly appreciate any tips or suggestions.

Panel 1 is the outside cover, panel 2 is the back of the journal, and panel 3 is the inside flap

post-54050-0-30227100-1406759054_thumb.j

Hello, as with many if us, we have to have practice or trial periods with new patterns we've developed. It would be very difficult for one of us to advise you how to go about your project only because you are the envisoner. Few are able to sit down and commit a new design to a finished project with "working out" those details before making the final job. Just give it a shot. Then if you have a specific tooling question, give us a shout back.

Good luck,

Bro. Timothy

Hello and welcome to the forum!

That compass rose is going to be kind of challenging. I can see how I would want to create it. The line that goes down the center of each arrow would probably be the highest point on each arrow with the leather sloping down to the edges. To do that, I think I would use a modeling spoon to sculpt a smooth surface down to that outer line. I would probably carve this in an inverted style where I would use a smooth beveller to bevel down the inside of each compass arrow line, mashing down the surface towards the center of the arrow. Then I would use the modeling spoon to smooth the rest of the arrow surface so it evenly drops from the center line to the outer edge. Hopefully that makes sense.

You will definitely want to try making several of these as practice first till you are satisfied with your results. Hope that helps and good luck on this!

Bob

Thanks for the responses everybody, I realize it was a very broad question. I got anxious last night to start and had no scrap to practice on so I just went in swinging. It didn't come out great but I'm happy with it for my first attempt at really anything artistic other than music.

post-54050-0-51067900-1406817953_thumb.j