Sign in to follow this  
OhioSteve

Introduction

:red_bandana: Hey everyone at Leatherworker. I am new, just joined, and working on my Christmas gifts for family. I have gotten a little rusty on the cutting with the swivel knife, but I am practicing on some scrap. I've been working with leather for about 20 years, starting with the Cub Scouts and earning a merit badge with it.(NO I am not a Goody-Two Shoes.) I really loved Al Stohlman's work, but I am more interested in learning more about Peter Main's work. I love the modern, sleek, "European" look, but I am still carving those darn rosettes:) Anyhow, I am always looking for opportunities to learn to do it better....I am even willing to travel across country to learn from the right folks. Home is always where you hang your hat. Hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday season.

Steve

http://stevesphotoz.com

leather.jpg

post-5532-1198042543_thumb.jpg

Welcome Steve,

Sorry I missed you in the chat the other day... I stay in there hoping to harrass anyone who comes in there but miss them most times....

Steve,

Welcome and this is a great online place to hone your skills. And, as for traveling, I think there was a post recently about Peter having a class comming up in Ft Worth so you might want to check that.

Steve,

Welcome to the forum! :welcome: What's this "Goody Two-Shoes" thing? Most of us got started in Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Camp Fire, 4-H etc. Some are still paying back what we were given by teaching the next generations. That's not a shameful thing! Sorry I didn't mean to get on a soap box. :devil: Your picture is a pretty good practice piece. That's what scraps are for!

Peter now lives in Houston when he is not traveling. He was in Ft. Worth last October for the IFoLG and might be in Columbus, OH next year at the IFoLG in October. Check with Allan Schiederer, Pres. of the Buckeye Leathercrafters of Central Ohio guild (937) 644-9434. They meet in Columbus on the 1st Sunday of each month. That should be some help close to you for now. There is a lot of experience in the guilds networking and event information. The Leathercrafters & Saddlers Journal is good also.

Keep practicing and put that first one back to review after ten+ later. You'll be amazed at the results.

happy toolin'!

Indy

Hi Steve welcome to the forum we are glad you found us, Don

Welcome to the forum Steve, it's good to have you here. You will find that everyone is very friendly, and always willing to help out.

Ken

Hello another Ohioan....this place is great they are always willing to lend a hand when asked to