Norwegian

Saddle Stand..

I'm NOT a carpenter so this was a real challenge for me! :bawling: It's not finished yet, but on it's way..

Found the "how to" in one of Stohlmans saddle encyclopedias.. and the "cowboys" also come from one of Stohlmans books..

post-11792-057886100 1290888538_thumb.jp

post-11792-008444200 1290888559_thumb.jp

post-11792-001036300 1290888577_thumb.jp

post-11792-023006100 1290888602_thumb.jp

Next project will be a homebuilt lasting stand for boot making..

Rik

Edited by Norwegian

nice saddle rack....and a lovely rottie face on the side...but dang fix those ears!

Hi Rik,

good work on the saddle rack, keep us posted on the lasting stand as well!!

Where are you getting the plans for the stand?

Moe.

i wasnt trying to offend you. i hope i did not do so. your dog is very pretty. i just like the ears to lie tighter to the cheek, without that extra wrinkle in the back of the ear that makes them hang away from the head a bit. here in the states its called flying ears. i have a bitch whos ears hang the same way, and no matter how many times i fixed them when she was little they went right back.

Hi Rik,

good work on the saddle rack, keep us posted on the lasting stand as well!!

Where are you getting the plans for the stand?

Moe.

Hi Moe!

I don't have any plans for the lasting stand. I'm gonna have to be a little creative and build one from memory + using pics of other homebuilt ones that I've found online.. I will probably use an old "work out/gym bench" as a base.. And I have a friend that knows how to weld.. :)

When I was with Renae at "Renaes Custom Boots" in Nebraska, I used the excellent stand from Thornapple River Boots.. Unfortunately it would cost a fortune to ship one here, so I'm gonna have to build one myself.

Rik

i wasnt trying to offend you. i hope i did not do so. your dog is very pretty. i just like the ears to lie tighter to the cheek, without that extra wrinkle in the back of the ear that makes them hang away from the head a bit. here in the states its called flying ears. i have a bitch whos ears hang the same way, and no matter how many times i fixed them when she was little they went right back.

Did not offend me! :unsure: You're just the first to comment on her ears! :)

And she isn't that bad in the pic, you should see her ears "live", would probably scare you if you think they are bad in the pic! :)

yes my girl is the same way....the more excited she is the more her ears stick out....annoying but cute.

nice stand. built the same one about 10 months ago, but havent gotten around to making the hold down part. looks good tho.I have also buile the metal stand that was in the encyclopedia as well. did it for one of my projects in welding class. came out nice too. maybe I can post a pic or 2 in a few days

Here's a thread detailing one of the issues of this design. Troy details the issue quite well.

Needed Stohlman Corrections

One of the issues that I ran across when designing weight lifting equipment was uneven floors and utilizing an H design or a double I design for your base. Anything other than a perfectly flat surface will make the item rock somewhat. A better design is to have 4 distinct smaller points for the legs of the item (rather than having two large platforms - an I design in your case). Furniture and workbench design likewise utilizes this principle of 4 smaller contact points rather than one large contact point (H design) or two large ones (double I design). Likewise a small adjuster in the base can accommodate even greater differences in the levelness of a floor.

Just some things to consider when designing racks and drawdown stands.

Regards,

Ben