zaynexpetty

What Oz Of Leather For Standard Belt?

I am new to leatherworking, and I was wondering what oz of leather do you usually use for your every day standard belt? I think the couple of belts I have made were from 6 oz leather. Is that too thin?

I'll also probably be making some womens belts (the skinny kind), and some dog collars. Would I use the same thickness on all three, or should they be different oz? Or is it really just a matter of preference?

Thanks

Zayne

Take a dial caliper, . . . go to Walmart, . . . find the kind of item you want to imitate, . . . measure it.

For me, . . . my belt, . . . it is 2 pieces, . . . measures 16 oz (.250 inches).

The word "standard" means so many different things to so many different people.

May God bless,

Dwight

Hi There

I have not made a belt yet but my hubby is in need of a new one so I foresee belt making in my future too. I looked in two of my books and both said 8 to 9 oz strap goods for your average belt. So I think that would be a good start. One book used that for both ladies and gents belts. Personal taste and end use may alter your choice of course for example a belt intended to hang a gun off of or a bunch of camping gear go heavy, a ladies belt to wear with a dress go lighter. Have fun and let us know how your belts turn out :-)

Cheers, Toolingaround