LaxLeather

Help What Kind Of Leather Should I Use?

Hello there, I am looking for some one that knows something about different types of leather so i came here.

Now what I am makeing is lacrosse leather (hopefully you atleast know what lacrosse is) as you can see by the picture belowIMG_6596__69678.1410028518.1280.1280.JPG

Now as you can see the four black"runners" that run down the lacrosse stick is leather this leather needs to be 8oz thick and i will probaly cut the leather myself. Now why am i here? because i want to revolutionize the game.Ok maybe not revolutionize but i want to offer something different to the lacrosse market so my idea is to have waterproof lacrosse leather that still feels like normal lacrosse leather. This has been done once before but all it was was normal lacrosse leather with wax coating but this coating has a wierd feel to it. so i need waterproof leather and make it still feel like normal lacrosse leather

Normal lacrosse leather is Vegatable tanned, chrome tanned or alum tanned but these arn't water proof

So what i need is a type of leather that is water proof and has to "feel" like Vegatable tanned, chrome tanned or alum tanned by feel i mean have similuar strech and consitancy. it also has to be durrable and 8oz thick (give or take 5oz) for further information you can read this article http://laxallstars.com/traditional-thursday-truth-leathers/
I did some research and i was thinking latigo leather but im not sure hopefully someone can make a suggestion Maybe this is unanswerable maybe im an idiot oh well only youre answers will tell

(if you can sell this leather to me or know where i can get some im willing to buy)

Latigo. Call Springfield Leather to get the size you need so you can try it out.

Art

I second what Art said and my second best choice would be box calf leather, but definitely prefer latigo leather as it is much more durable.

My grandfather played back in the 40's / 50's and they used wooden sticks. The sticks are laced with cat gut and rawhide leather. He has 2 sticks that are still strung 65 years later. I don't know how they waterproofed the lacings, but I'll ask the next time I see him. I'd suspect some type of tallow. I'll also try to get some pictures of the sticks & his old laminated & laquered leather helmet so you can see some vintage gear.