EmbossingDieCompany

Keeping Acrylic Paint Only In The Impressions

The easiest way is to make a wash with the acrylics and apply with a fine brush. If you're not familiar with the term, a 'wash' is just a very thin mixture of the acrylic paint and water. You'll apply by brush in very thin layers to build up te opacity that you want. The first layers need to be thin so that they can stick to the leather, then additional layers will adhere to the layers below them. If you try to just fill in the impressions with straight paint, there's a possibility that the paint will crack and fall out. You can find some excellent examples of the technique (and description of) by looking up some of the work by member "Tina".

the only way to do this....and I dito above....with a steady hand, glasses and a super fine high quality brush!!

Go practice and then do some magic on leather with acryls!!

If your brush skills are not good enough to paint the fine detail necessary, try using an airbrush and masks for painting the borders. You have to thin medium body acrylics for the airbrush and this helps them "grip". I've used the Liquitex Ink! acrylics with a lot less fuss than using the medium body and thinning with airbrush medium or water. With a little practice, you can easily pull a fine line with a #2 or #4 round brush. It is not about "seeing" or any of that artsy stuff, it is just mechanical technique developed through practice. You can also use the masking technique with a brush, but soon you won't need it.

Art

Have you tried using a resist first, then apply the paint that away if you do get outside the area you can wipe it off with a Q-tip, I use small foam cleaning pads they are about the size of a Q-tip but don’t have the fuzz, they are flat on the bottom. When you load your brush with paint wash start in the center of your work and let the paint flow towards the edges then work the paint into the edges with the brush. I keep a second brush handy that is damp if I get to much paint in an area I use it to soak it up, just rince it out and dab it on a paper towel.

Hope this helps

Doug