Sign in to follow this  
Renee

Adding Conchos to headstall?

Hi everyone! I am totally new to this forum and very excited about learning a lot about how to work with leather. Ihave a very nice black leather scalloped headstall that I would like to add either conchos or beads to the brow band. The conchos that I have found come with a screw backing, the problem that I see is: Wouldn't that poke into the horses head? They are Chicago screws.

Can someone help me please with how to apply these conchos? I would also be interested in possibly adding some "bling" to it as well.

Thanks!

Renee

headstall.jpg

post-8502-1233332368_thumb.jpg

Hello and WELCOME!

:welcome:
This is not my area of expertise, but couldn't you install the concho and sew a flap of leather over the screw back to protect the horse? Just a Thought....

Hi! I thought of that, but I don't know if it would be bumpy and bulky on his forehead. I honestly do not know how those Chicago screws work since everything I have are either buckle or leather ties.

Hello and WELCOME!

:welcome:
This is not my area of expertise, but couldn't you install the concho and sew a flap of leather over the screw back to protect the horse? Just a Thought....

If you are using a screw the right length, they should pull down slightly into the leather. Combine that with a flat screw head and they do alright. Some silver (especially bars) has rivet backs or copper wire strips soldered in and are meant to be cover with a lining. Adding covers to just screw heads makes more of a bump that is a bigger problem.

The way I have always made browbands is to NOT fit tight. A little bump on the inside should really be no problem, as long as the browband actually fits the horse.

Also I agree with Bruce Johnson - the screw should be the proper length. If the screw is so long it pokes the horse in the head, it is TOO long. Or, the browband is too short, one or the other.

Hi! I thought of that, but I don't know if it would be bumpy and bulky on his forehead. I honestly do not know how those Chicago screws work since everything I have are either buckle or leather ties.

renee put a little glue on the threads of the screw, make sure the screw is slightly shorter than the thickness of the leather it will counter sink its self, make sure there is no burrs on the slot , if there is take a small file n take them off,

you can put a back on the bridle to cover the heads but that would require taking the sewing out n restitching it to the back leather dont try to just glue it, it will look shoty n come apart if the bridle is use often