I just got laid off from work today.. After buying all of these tools and supplies and stuff and also spending about 4k on Lasik I was informed today I was no longer employed... I was beginning to like it here and learn new things but I'll probably be selling my stuff here soon cheap most of it has never been used the rest has been used very little.

Des804...............i feel for you. "been there and done that".. best thing about loosing

a Job is finding a better one.

Kind of hard when your so Overweight you can barely walk and the job you had was a sit down job and when you live in a ghost town where there is no employment and have difficulties driving distances. Right now I'm in a very bad way mentally and Im trying to keep myself together.

Don't sell your tools, Des - I repeat: Don't sell your tools!

Look at it this way, the worst has probably already happened other than the demands for money you haven't got...and we all get those! Just start working leather for all you are worth and learn to make your own money without relying on anyone else for a job.

Depression is possibly the most unfair illness in the world because misery stops you thinking about ways to remove the cause of your depression. You may need to get some help here but do recognise you aren't on your own.

You will need some successes to get you through the next few months so why not make some leather pieces the best way you know how and get the buzz from 'a job well done'. Just take time to learn and improve and sell your work wherever you can as you go. There are plenty of folk here who will go ut of their way to help you make a good job, all you have to do is ask.

I understand you live in a rural area so you may not sell too much to start with but as people learn you work leather the small jobs will come in and eventually they will turn into bigger and better work.

The most important thing is not to lose hope.

Good luck fellah!

Ray

Kind of hard when your so Overweight you can barely walk and the job you had was a sit down job and when you live in a ghost town where there is no employment and have difficulties driving distances. Right now I'm in a very bad way mentally and Im trying to keep myself together.

I'm SO Far from being able to make anything worthy of selling its not funny I've only made a total of 2 pieces both of which arent that good. And I cant get any luck selling my jewelry that I have been doing for 11 years and stuff So not having to much high hopes for selling leather items. Just spent about 600 dollars in tools this past month to get started and 1 side.

Edited by Des804

Set your sights lower, Des... cut out a key fob and practise - you have a whole side of leather to learn how to make the best key fobs in the US. Just don't give up okay!

Ray

I'm SO Far from being able to make anything worthy of selling its not funny I've only made a total of 2 pieces both of which arent that good. And I cant get any luck selling my jewelry that I have been doing for 11 years and stuff So not having to much high hopes for selling leather items. Just spent about 600 dollars in tools this past month to get started and 1 side.

I am sorry to hear your news. I have been there as well. I agree with UKRay, don't sell your tools. You will need something to take your mind off your current status.

Hang in there!!

Greetings from Round Rock, Texas

Hang in there, Des. Ray is right... selling your tools would be a mistake. At the very least, while you are practicing and improving your leathercrafting skills you won't be concentrating on your misfortunes.

Many of us in this forum have experienced terrible blows in life. We all survived, and so will you. It will probably be tough for a while. If you need to sell something to help make ends meet, have a garage sale. Look around the house and I'm sure you see lots of things you could easily part with. But, keep your leather tools! In time, and with practice, those tools can make some money. Maybe they won't make the same kind of money your lost job gave you, but with our economy steadily dropping, every little dollar you bring in by selling handcrafted leather items will be a dollar you didn't have before.

Thats the thing about still living with my parents ( even with a job I wasnt so well off With Debts for College and Car )..... They decide when a Garage sell would be. I guess I'm going to be put on unemployment going to get this weight off of me then try to find a job hopefully find one that isnt fast food or department store.

Des,

I know it hard going through what you are going through. Take time to think on what you really need to do. Do not act on sporadic judgments at this time. Some positives are that you are living with your parents and will not become homeless of losing your house. They will not allow you to become hungry. You will find a better job! School loans can be wavered, all you have to do is ask. You will need to keep busy and capitalize on the time that you now have. Just be glad you have a place to hang your hat. Start taking short walks to get a little exercise, this will help with depression. You will be ok! Hang tough!

I haven't run a leather shop in 10 years, but I will never sell my tools. My tools are my security net- my kids will always have food to eat because I have my tools and my initiative. You need to seek some help from a doctor who understands your medical issues and can provide a treatment that helps you get better. I'll bet most of us here have lost a job at one time or another, or taken one we hated temporarily. Many people have been through worse ordeals than losing a job. What matters is learning how to bounce back when life throws you a hard blow. Sometimes we need help from special people- our parents, doctors, ministers, teachers, therapists and friends. Sometimes recovery is just baby steps one at a time, but they add up. The first step is admitting we need help and seeking it. You need a doctor right now, not a tool sale.

Johanna

I've suffered from depression most of my life my no more so than when my wife and son left me and went back to Australia. With little work I found it very hard to live. Then a year or so ago I found leatherwork. With the help of music and a creative outlet I spent a long time just thinking of leather and how I could improve my work. I would sleep and wake thinking of my next project. It helped me stop thinking of all the bad stuff and concentrate on improving my work. Financially it has been very hard, but now things are starting to look up. I still make little money from my leather work but I'm happier. Learning to forgive your self and to learn to live are far more important than money.

Right now I have some work for the next few weeks and I hope to save up and go and see my wife and son in the next few months. My wife is willing to give me another chance and god willing we will sort out immigration so we can live together.

Just take a step at a time and do small things that you know you can accomplish. Praise yourself, even for the very little things like a smile. But most of all breath and remember if you have never been sad how would you know when you are happy.

Good luck

Tony

Don't need a Doctor I can deal with this kind of depression and to many of the doctors around here want to put everyone on medication for every little thing. I'm just depressed with losing my job I'll get over it I'll get a new job. Yeah I would love to keep my tools but I dont have much stuff to sell anymore most of my stuff has been sold , Destroyed, or really isnt sellable except to select people. I'm going to make it through I've been through worse a lot worse. Just depressed right now and probably will be for a few days.

Hey Des, if misery loves company, you have plenty of it Amigo. I lost my job of 20 years at X-mas, and since then thousands more have too. I had a pity party for about a week, then strated looking at it as a new beginning (what else can ya do?) I've used my time practicing leather...(shoveling snow), training horses, (and shoveling more snow) But I just stay busy. My friends say a door will open, and I guess they'er right. But I agree that selling tools should be a last resort. Good luck.

Nope, don't sell the tools. You say "my stuff isn't good enough to sell"...well, let's look at another member here, who also just started leatherworking.

I'm talking about jbird, aka Josh. When he started he felt he was in the same boat with leather. Now, he's got customers who like his work well enough to PAY for it.

Don't expect to just sit at a bench/table and turn out masterpieces like Peter Main or Billy 2-shews. It takes time.

That said, belts, wallets, key fobs, etc. are the bread and butter of leatherworkers. Learn to do them well and they can provide a small but steady income.

One last thing: Look up "severe blessing".

Hang in there,

Mike

If you really HAVE to sell your tools - If they have never been used - WHY sell them cheap?

But I agree with the others that if you have tools and willing hands you can do a lot to make money -- I know Middletown is sort of nowheresville right now - but if you have supplies

MAKE STUFF

put it up on the web - make SMALL priced stuff

we found out in the dollhouse world that the under $20 stuff was the biggest sellers. Right now under $10 would probably do better at a show.

Jewlrey - earrings, bracelets, plain necklaces (simple chains out of a cool maile pattern)

Have a few bigger ticket items but the small stuff will hold a table. (I used to pay $200.00 table rent with FIFTY CENT items, You have to sell a lot of 50 cents to do that - but it is doable)

What about leather "coins" with designs on them? A potter I know makes "farie coins" and sells them for 50 cents - Kids go nuts over them. It would also be a way to practice designs without using big chunks of leather.....and I know you got a whole big box of "scrap" from Mike. I have a few pairs of earrings from MeriMask Designs that I didn't pay much for but are formed leather (leaves in fact)

GET THEE TO SCA EVENTS

Merchants don't pay table rent just site fees....the one this weekend is $8.00 (plus a $3.00 non-member surcharge) pack food in and what have you paid for gas to get there and a nomanal site fee.

times are tough all over - but a willing pair of hands can do a lot......

and just because you don't think you need a Dr's help - doesn't mean you're right. You said you are very overweight -- are you under a Dr's care for that? they can help a lot you know.

Sorry when I hear people tell me I need a Doctors help its most of the time when Im having a bad day and my Depression scares them. Yes I am under a doctors Supervision for my Health.

If you haven't done so, check your PMs.

Des,

Listen to the guys. Please don't sell your tools.

I'm sure everyone here will help in any way they can.

Many of us know what you're going through.

Cheers,

Karl

While I've not been on the "job loss" front, I can sympathize with the down in the dumps depression end of things. You're right, docs tend to want to just dose you up, when it might not be necessary. (I say might because there are people who do need meds) As to the weight issue, my husband weighs over 300 lbs (maybe even 400, not sure), and it is a problem for him. This is something you yourself need to deal with, just like it is for him. No amount of someone else nagging is going to work. Support helps though - I went through Nutri-System and it worked for me at that time; and many people swear by Weight Watchers.

Think about every single thing that goes in your mouth. Start by cutting back on portion sizes. That's my hubby's downfall: he'll have 4 slices of toast (with heaps of butter) for breakfast, as an example. Or tonight's dessert: big bowl of ice cream with choc.chip cookies on the side. I love him dearly, just as I'm sure there are people that love you, but it is very sad to watch.

Take care of yourself!

We care about you!

GET THEE TO SCA EVENTS

Merchants don't pay table rent just site fees....the one this weekend is $8.00 (plus a $3.00 non-member surcharge) pack food in and what have you paid for gas to get there and a nomanal site fee.

Not that I want to rain on this particular parade, but that's not always true. I paid for my spot at Birka ($15/table), and many events charge merchant fees these days. Granted, it's MUCH less than craft fairs, but still, $15 is $15. Plus you're expected to wear garb.

I just like full disclosure. SCA events are fun, and you can make some money, but merchants do often have to pay for their table and they are expected to wear garb.

Good luck to you, Des. I hope you find something soon.

Ok I give to this one - most events in our area do NOT charge for merchants

our Shire does not for one - we make them set up outside

there is no lack of space and they are already paying for entry fees. and tent camping fees if they are staying

and we want merchants - so we don't charge

and a simple tunic is good enough around here (even if you wear it over jeans or a purchased pair of sweat pants)

I guess we are a little "looser" in that regard

Yeah Im going to look into that and look into getting a ride.

Selling your tools is selling your means of production. Once you do it, you have ZERO. The money you receive will be gone in the blink of an eye and you are busted. Start LEARNING to make those tools productive. Start with one thing and learn to do it extremely well. Then learn a second etc. etc.

I know a guy who simply cut out some suede from a pattern he made, punched some holes and made little medicine pouches. He added a little pin to the pouch and he was selling them at rallies for $15 apiece. He might hawk them for $10 like a Ginsu Knife salesman. He had a dollar in them if that.

Don't take the artistry shown by folks here as a barrier to entry. People normally buy function and not art. Heck, most people have no idea what quality leatherwork is. They are often clueless... which of course drives the artisan nuts.

Make something people need, do it well... functionally... and start selling. It will get easier and easier every day. Good luck!

:Lighten::Lighten::Lighten:

Hey Des,

I highly recommend that you listen and dance to "Three little birds" by Bob Marley over and over today. Stand as tall as you can brother and remember that the rollercoaster ride is a whole lot more fun than the merry-go-round! Change is a wonderful thing . . . scary, but very exciting! DO NOT SELL YOUR TOOLS!

Every little thing is gonna be alright! Take one day at a time. Be in the moment my friend . . . DO NOT add up all of the yesterdays and worry about tomorrow. That's when humans break down. All of us can deal with just today! Even you future awesome leather worker dude!