Sign in to follow this  
Tkleather1

Servo on an old 31-15

I have an old 31-15 singer and am curious if it is worth puting a servo motor on. I have been told that it wont have enough torque because of the flywheel size but I dont know this for sure, I have seen on an older chandler that a servo didnt work woth a hoot. it was a member here that bought one thinking it would really help him out but it didnt have any power to punch through. so if you have any info on how I could make this work or if it even worth it I sure could use some help as I am running it by hand right now and wafter stitching a few pairs of chaps my arm sure gets tired.

Thanks

Tim

Curious, what size needle & thread you are using? I have a 31-20 want to use it for the same thing, but I have not been able to put heavier weight yokes on without feeding it by hand. Don't think a motor & servo will help.

Al

I believe if you run a servo motor with a speed reducer it will increase the torque others may have a more informed opinion the I do.

china

Hello all:

Not all servo motors are created equal. Some generate a lot more torque at low RPM than others. The ones we are using now seem to do quite well at low RPM's. I can sew about 1/4" thick leather without having to help the machine out on a normal flatbed medium weight chap stitching machine.

However, to get the best level of control and performance, it is wise to use a speed reducer in conjunction with a servo motor. The speed reducer will not only sew the machine down a lot, but it will also add a great deal of punching power. Think of it like gear ratios in a transmission.

Kindest Regards,

Ryan O. Neel

Neel's Saddlery and Harness

Cowboy Sewing Machines

1-866-507-8926

Curious, what size needle & thread you are using? I have a 31-20 want to use it for the same thing, but I have not been able to put heavier weight yokes on without feeding it by hand. Don't think a motor & servo will help.

Al

Well I cant remember what size needle it is but I am running 69 top and bottom. I use 7/8 oz for the yokes and sides and have no trouble running it by hand I just get worn out and it sure would be nice to have two hands on the material.