Sign in to follow this  
steelhawk

Contact Cement Failure

I made a holster for a customer and was about to put the finish on it when I noticed the leather had separated around the belt slots. I have never had this happen before. Even worse, the next holster I made has the same problem.

I'm using Weldwood cement and I don't think it is the cement since some stuff I glued today with it is stuck real good.

The only thing I did differently with these two is use some Fiebings tan dye that I cut with rubbing alcohol. Maybe that is somehow the problem.

Anyway, I need to know if there is a good fix for the problem. I sure don't want to have to make them over. I thought of super glue but don't know it that will be flexible enough, or I could cram more contact cement into the opening and clamp it overnight.

Any help will be appreciated.

I have made lots of holsters and never had this happen before.

Not sure if there is a "fix" for your existing problem, but I'm pretty sure that your problem resulted from pushing your production along too rapidly. Contact cement, or any other appropriate adhesive, requires sufficient time to set up and bond thoroughly. Going into the wet-forming process too soon can cause problems.

My first suggestion would be to allow 12 to 24 hours for your cement to set up and bond before doing anything else.

I use weldwood all the time and it works great. However on some leather it seems to soak in really well which doesnt leave enough on the surface I think. Occasionally I will have to add a little more before doing what lobo says, basically put them together then put a weight or something on top and let them sit over night.

I made a holster for a customer and was about to put the finish on it when I noticed the leather had separated around the belt slots. I have never had this happen before. Even worse, the next holster I made has the same problem.

I'm using Weldwood cement and I don't think it is the cement since some stuff I glued today with it is stuck real good.

The only thing I did differently with these two is use some Fiebings tan dye that I cut with rubbing alcohol. Maybe that is somehow the problem.

Anyway, I need to know if there is a good fix for the problem. I sure don't want to have to make them over. I thought of super glue but don't know it that will be flexible enough, or I could cram more contact cement into the opening and clamp it overnight.

There is a 'super glue' that is flexible enough for this application by the way. It's made by a company called Stickfast and is carried at specialty woodworking stores like Rockler & Woodcraft if you have one nearby. There is specifically a grade called "flexible" and works very well for repairs on such things. (they also make thin, medium and thick) The real name for this type of glue is cyanoacrylate adhesive (AKA CA Glue) if you ask for it.

I used to have an occassional separation at the belt slots or the edges.I use Masters contact cement. I started hammering the glued area after putting the peices together. Just laying it on my marble slab and tapping overall with a cobblers hammer. Made all the difference in the world. makes for a real tight inseperable joint. As Lobo said giving it some drying time before wet forming and heat drying is a good idea.

Gotta agree with Lobo. Coat the items as indicated ... fully and completely. Let the contact set up as indicated on the label ... it sounds like too much time, but that's the way it works. Place the two pieces together and apply some pressure (I use an old wallpaper roller). Then the hard part .Ignore the damned thing 'till tomorrow before doing anythig! Wait at least 24 hours before wet molding. I also use Weldwood Contact, but not the 'gel' formula. Mike

Thanks, guys.

I think I did try to make these too fast and now I am paying the price for shortcutting. I should have known better.

Thanks, guys.

I think I did try to make these too fast and now I am paying the price for shortcutting. I should have known better.

What about some super glue carefully put into the pulled apart sections?

Bob Stelmack

www.pslac.org

I had a couple of instances where a glued area pulled loose...and I figured out what I did wrong. Just couldn't leave the darned thing alone till the next day! Thanks for the suggestions and I will heed to them in the future!

I have a question though (not to hijack the thread)...about how thick does the application of adhesive need to be. Are we looking for a thin coating or thicker? Thanks!