TwinOaks

Guide To The Basics Of Carving

Welcome to Leatherworker.net !

Here's a link to a primer on the main page for carving leather. It lists a few of the tools and defines their purpose. However, this is by no means a complete list and you are welcome to post your question threads.

Basics to Carving Leather

https://leatherworker.net/introcarving.htm

Note: I didn't write the guide, just linked it.

Edited by Northmount
Fixed broken link

Wow, thanks for writing that! It answered a lot of my questions and addressed many of the issues I have been having.

Thanks I am new at leather working and artical like this is a big help. Again Thank You

Thanks, lots of good information for us newbies!

Filigree blade styles should be added to the rather extensive and well written tutorial above. They have a steeper angle then regular angle blades and used predominately for fine decorative cuts.

Very nice! Thank you.

I have a deep desire to learn leathercraft, I believe I have a natural ability, but have not had tools for a long time,"lost my inherited tools to theft" can someone suggest a list of carving/working tools and dyes to get started again?

I have a deep desire to learn leathercraft, I believe I have a natural ability, but have not had tools for a long time,"lost my inherited tools to theft" can someone suggest a list of carving/working tools and dyes to get started again?

It seems the link is no longer active for some reason.

On 10/12/2008 at 8:54 AM, TwinOaks said:

Welcome to Leatherworker.net !

Here's a link to a primer on the main page for carving leather. It lists a few of the tools and defines their purpose. However, this is by no means a complete list and you are welcome to post your question threads.

Basics to Carving Leather

Note: I didn't write the guide, just linked it.

Tried viewing the link, comes up page does not exist 

6 hours ago, Woldbill1962 said:

Tried viewing the link, comes up page does not exist 

If you take a look at the post directly above yours, you will find a current link that works.  Often worthwhile to look at the later posts in a thread for any updated information.

Tom

On 9/23/2015 at 7:59 PM, Daymon said:

sorry to hear of your loss{ tools} I think if you go to Tandys and get thier Deluxe leather carving set, this would help you alot. it comes with the 7 basic tools and a swivel knife, plus 6 projects, some finish and instructions. Al Stolman's books on leather working are IMHO, the  best leather teaching books you can get, at least on figure carving and floral basics and basic style. it seems to me that a lot of the new people to this craft/art are getting confused by all the info on the internet since it doesn't differentiate basic from inter mediate to advanced. like sheridan style,  it is something for intermediate to advanced, a bit of an investment too. jesse smiths '" Northwest carving" would not be bad as a start either. hoped this helped and not confused you.

is this a bad thing or just me practicing my typing?

Probably the latter if you were expecting to be commenting to Daymond.  He posted that in 2015 and it was his only post.