Basically Bob

Birch Bark & Leather Axe Sheath

post-33768-0-78045400-1378549520_thumb.jpost-33768-0-81276400-1378549551_thumb.j

This hand-stitched axe sheath incorporatates a birch bark panel in the design. Birch bark is amazing. The natural oils it contains has made it ideal for many purposes, for many centuries.

I used 4-5 oz veg tanned leather and elected to use a welt rather than rivets,

5/18 linen thread.

Bark is glued to a leather substrate, skived around the edges then glued in place.

The snaps are covered with skived piece of leather on the inside of the sheath.

It was more challenging to put together than I thought, originally, but I sure am pleased with how it turned out (other than the smudge of dye where I didn't want it on the back!).

Edited by Basically Bob

I love this! Being a bushcrafter I love birch bark and never of thought of putting bark and leather together. You got my mind racing now with all sorts of idea's!

Did you treat the bark with anything?

For us European's, how thick is your leather in mm rather than weight ?

Really decorative! Your idea can be used in many different items, thinking of knife sheats and pouches. Thanks for the idea, Canada

Thanks for the compliments, guys.

Ski,I believe that the conversion would be somewhere around 1.5 - 2mm.

I am a wilderness canoe tripper and have had an appreciation for the amazing properties of birch bark for several years. The natural oils contained within the bark makes it an excellent fire starter ... even when wet, has been used for canoe building for centuries, shelter and many other uses such as baskets.

My plans are to incorporate birch bark into a line of signature items ... just haven't got it all put together yet. Knife sheaths and pouches are in the line-up, for sure.

Edited by Basically Bob

tkirwan, I ok with that, for sure. You really don't need my permission but I do appreciate the respect you have demonstrated by asking.

Bob

Ski ... I forgot to answer ... no, I did not treat it with anything. I believe that the natural oils in the bark will be sufficient.