So I bought a quiver pattern pack from Tandy's online library since I'm in need of a back quiver. However, never having followed a pattern before I wanted to test out my abilities with some crummy thin leather on the smallest quiver pattern, which is a child's hip quiver. I also had a scrap of some nice soft veg tan that I used for the front pouch, and a piece of super thick chestnut scrap that I stamped a pony into. This project taught me a few things.

1. I need proper stitching equpiment, namely a pricking iron, stitching pony, and a good awl. The stitching took forever to do because I only had a scratch awl and a ruler to measure out the holes, and I pre-punched the holes with the scratch awl and pushed a needle through each hole, then still needed to use pliers to pull the needles through. HUGE pain in the butt, and fingers for that matter. Still, the saddle stitching doesn't look completely awful in my estimation for being so half-assed.

2. I need to figure out how to keep floppy leather from shifting around when prepping holes for stitching, I ended up with the pouch being a bit high by a hole or two on one side compared to the other. I'm guessing I should have glued it down into place first.

3. I hate how the dye turned out, I need to invest in some good dye and a real airbrush kit. Also I have to keep in mind how different textured leather absorbs dye differently. It barely looks touched on the firmer body, while the soft pouch leather darkened up nicely. I'm thinking of masking off the pony and pouch and hitting the case with red stain or something just so it doesn't look like plain veg tanpost-11723-0-33776500-1415673391_thumb.jpost-11723-0-22629400-1415673402_thumb.j.

pertaining to your second observation: gluing might not be the best, especially since your punching holes with an awl.the glue can gum up your holes and make stitching even harder. try clamping the pieces together, i use binder clips like you find in any office supply store, i find they provide enough pressure without marking your leather. you can clamp your leather together and then clamp both pieces to your surface, i use a cutting board. that should keep them in place well enough so your holes line up nicely.

nice first piece. good luck on the full sized one.

Edited by hccbo

Glue or clamps will work. I glue all my main seams on holsters, sheaths etc. using contact cement. I use an awl and hand stitch everything I make. If you don't wait for the glue to cure you probably would end up with it being a bit gummy. I have never had that problem. My awl comes out clean. Overall the quiver came out pretty decent.

Not bad! And seriously, that's a wretched amount of stitching to do without the proper tools.

I am with camano ridge let the glue dry

I'm guessing that it's a special type of glue rather than the rubber cement I used for the edges of the quiver?

COntact cement. I use weldwood contact cement. I use the green label. It has a lot less odor then the red label. WIth contact cement let it dry about thirty minutes. When you go to put the pieces together make sure they are aligned before pushing them down. Once stuck, they are stuck. Then let the project set a few hours so the glue cures. you should not have any gumming when poking holes or stitching.

I think the stitching looks pretty good especially considering what you had to work with. I used to use a diamond haft all and poke each hole one at a time then I bought the diamond chisel set from tandy and it's made a huge difference in my stitching. Overall I think the quiver turned out very nice, good work.

-Stu

I'll definitely pick up some contact cement then, thanks on the tip about which one isn't as whiffy.

Thanks for the compliment, Stu! I do like how the stitching came out considering how much I kludged it. I'm really looking forward to stitching with the proper tools! There are few things so frustrating as KNOWING there's a better tool for the job and not having it!