Roger J

Design Aspects Of Knife Sheaths

Hello,

I'm trying to find an article that deals with the both the practical and esthetic design aspects of knife sheaths....not a "how-to" article or tutorial.

Something that discusses pros/cons of different sheath shapes, different belt attachments, different hold-downs (i.e. button straps, pegs, etc),etc.

Pointers as to finding the balance point between making something super durable and something pleasing to the eye (leather thickness, welt width & thickness, size of holddown straps, etc.)

And ideas on how to marry the correct sheath design with the knife type and usage.

Cheers,

Roger

I have sold a lot of folding knife sheaths wholesale and have had quite a few folding knife instructional set ups at stores, camps and gun shows. I have found that most working cowboys want a knife sheath that is light and easy to get the knife out of. In fact a lot of of working individuals have went to a light weight knife with a belt or pocket clip. When you work hard all day and are dog tired even your clothes feel heavy and you don't want to carry any extra weight around, not even a couple of ounces. I have sold a great number of folding knife sheaths, both USA made nylon and ones that I make myself. I was a wholesale knife distributer and got a lot of feed back. There are two ways to go when doing leather work in knife sheaths. Very classy high dollar art and the simple working sheath. I think that if you are doing just leather work, then go with the classy. You will make the most money with them. I went the other way and did not make a lot of money selling my sheaths, but I have a ton of people that stop me on the street to talk and I like that as now I am 76 and semi-retired. -- Tex

Hello,

I'm trying to find an article that deals with the both the practical and esthetic design aspects of knife sheaths....not a "how-to" article or tutorial.

Something that discusses pros/cons of different sheath shapes, different belt attachments, different hold-downs (i.e. button straps, pegs, etc),etc.

Pointers as to finding the balance point between making something super durable and something pleasing to the eye (leather thickness, welt width & thickness, size of holddown straps, etc.)

And ideas on how to marry the correct sheath design with the knife type and usage.

Cheers,

Roger

All in one article...

For free...

And without so much as an introduction from youself?

There are a lot of great resources on here. I haven't seen exactly what you're asking for.

I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, just getting started prefered to read up the subject, and at least get a grasp of the basics, instead of flooding a forum with beginner level questions.

Never been bitten by the knife bug myself, so wanted to brush up on likes/dislikes, pros/cons of various models.

Sure, free would be nice, but I wouldn't mind paying for it if it came highly recommended.

Depends largely on which "knife subculture" You are catering to -- large game hunters, trappers, stockmen, bushcrafters, tacticool, collectors...

That is a great link, read it over twice.

Think I'll dust-off the old library card and see what they have on leather workining and outdoor survival and such.