Sign in to follow this  
Joakim

Need Some Help With My Singer 29 K-4

Hello everybody,

I`m new to this forum and to sewing leather using a sewing machine, I have some experience with leather sewing by hand. I just got me a very nice SInger 29 K-4 and I have a few questions I hoped someone could help me with

These are some of the parts that came with me sewing machine and I`m wondering what they are used for and how:

DSCN0945.jpg

Witch one of these needles are made for leather sewing and what are the other ones made for?

DSCN0947.jpg

DSCN0948.jpg

DSCN0949.jpg

DSCN0950.jpg

This shuttle did not fit the shuttle carrier on this machine, and the bobbins does not fit this one either because the rod in the middle is to wide. Is this for the Singer 29 K-4 at all or is it for another model?

DSCN0951.jpg

These are the two feeding feet that came with the machine, are both made for leather sewing? What is the difference?

I`m going to use this machine for sewing heavy german WW2 leather pouches, belts and straps, and I would like to use natural thread materiales like linen or cotton. Are there any suitable threads like that? The thickest thread possible would be the best. It seems however that the bobbins can`t take much thick thread, are there any other ways to cope with this?

Thanks of any help!

On the needles it's hard to tell from the pic what you have,if you took it from the pointed end it would help,but on the needles the rounded point ones are used in vinyl & cloth,the leather points will have like a knife edge on them(they won't be round)they make a better looking stitch in leather.

The bobbincase is broken & not for this machine.

The feet one has finer teeth than the other so it won't leave has deep of marks on top of the leather.

Last yes,the bobbins are small that's why these machines are used for repair work where you don't have long runs of sewing & the best thing to do is use the smallest thread you can to go further.

Bob

Your Welcome

Bob

Does anyone know if the Singer 29 K 4 should have a oil cup? Mine does not have one and it seems like it never had one either. The reason I`m asking is because the machine will not sew properly, and I was thinking this had to do with me threading it wrong. Is there a step by step guide out there on how to thread a Singer 29 K 4? A video would be very helpful