Sign in to follow this  
Suicide

Shoud Edge-Kote Be Covered With Something?

Hi guys,

Quick question: if I used edge-kote, should put layer of any finish/shene/beeswax etc on top of it?

I seem see edge-cote is rubbing off a bit being non-covered.

Thanks in advance!

Hi again!

I'd also like to know how to stop edge kote ruboff.

I've used brown edge kote a couple of times and it seems to rub off easily.

I've covered one of my coaster's edge-kote with resolene, but it just chips off, so its no help.

PS I just switched to Bob Park's method of finishing edges - I hope i got it right =) I'll see how well my moleskine cover's edges will hold.

PS I just switched to Bob Park's method of finishing edges - I hope i got it right =) I'll see how well my moleskine cover's edges will hold.

Hi Chavez,

Nice to hear you again.

Yep, Bob`s method (thanks him for these great tips) works pretty good for me also.

But! I have the whole 8oz bottle of Edge-Kote :) And before I give it a pass into trash can I'd like to give it a second chance to show me how good it is (you know, always give a second chance :) )

I heard about resolene chips off the edges, but just wandered if super/satin shene of something else can be used. Of course it might be an issue with edge-kote itself (like for example kote doesn't give any of finishes come into deep and stick better), but I hope it is not.

I also have a bit crazy idea try to mix resolene and edge-kote together and use like one final layer, also mixing with any of shene might (I hope) work.

As for Bob's method you are using, does resolene works for you as a finish? Or do you using something else to finish edges what already burnished ?

Edited by Suicide

To be honest, I only have a few months of leatherwork experience so I'm probably not the best person to ask=)

I just rubbed in a lot of parafin into my edges on my cover - want to see if that can stand the wear. If the edges get destroyed, I can reapply the wax, but that's obviously just avoiding the problem rather than trying to solve it. The cover is experimental anyway - I've finished it with carnauba wax as I want to see how it holds the finish. I already have a carnauba-finished round knife sheath and I managed to stain it a week after its been finished (don't know how though) =(

Lets hope some pros answer our questions=)

To be honest, I only have a few months of leatherwork experience so I'm probably not the best person to ask=)

Thanks alot, Chavez, for sharing your exp .

I'm sure in that ANY sort of experience IS valuable, doesn't matter how many months you have hands on something.

And lets wait for gurus suggestions.

Cheers!

I received a recipe from a local leather crafter several years back for applying a finish to the edges. His recipe was a simple mixture of resolene and atom wax. Since I work on small projects, I do not use a lot, so I usually mix in a little salsa (to go) cup what I need. I use a 4 part resolene to a 2 part wax mixture. I will apply it twice. I have never had any problems or chipping as you mentioned.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tip.

Is it Fiebing's leather balm with atom wax that you're referring to or is atom wax a separate product?

I really like Edge Kote... can't say that I've had any issues with it rubbing off.

Typically, I apply one or two coats after burnishing. I then apply Fiebing's Leather Sheen spray to the entire project. Seems to do the trick ;)

post-13450-052708700 1326139949_thumb.jp

Typically, I apply one or two coats after burnishing. I then apply Fiebing's Leather Sheen spray to the entire project. Seems to do the trick ;)

Thanks, Sixer!

I don\t have fiebings Leather Sheen but give a try Satin Shene instead.

Thanks for the tip.

Is it Fiebing's leather balm with atom wax that you're referring to or is atom wax a separate product?

Yes