Sign in to follow this  
greg gomersall

15 " Taylor with a wood post horn

Latest saddle I just finished. It is a 15 " Taylor with a wood post horn. Glenn Christman made the tree and Dave Alderson made the Sterling concho's, rope strap buckle, and sterling and gold frog. The inlaid seat and bucking rolls are alligator. Greg

P.S.

Denise thanks for the posting instructions and thank you to my wife Cyndi for figuring out how to follow them.

Picture_0104.jpgPicture_0103.jpg

Picture_0105.jpgPicture_0106.jpg

post-1797-1192503376_thumb.jpg

post-1797-1192503960_thumb.jpg

post-1797-1192504273_thumb.jpg

post-1797-1192504551_thumb.jpg

Greg,

Ring the bell on this one. Nice work. I like the way the buckle is fastened for the rope strap. I am guilty of running them up from under the front jockey and have that little lump. I can make out the border stamp and the block, but what is the filler between the blocks on the seat jockeys and fenders? The alligator looks good. That steer can feel pretty good about donating its hide to make something that looks this good too. Thanks for posting this.

Hey Greg,

Absolutely stunning saddle. Nice balance of floral and geometric. Really like the rawhide buckstitching on the fork very subtle. When are you going to sell me that four heart Don King border stamp... I got a nice 3 heart one I might consider trading you for...I think it's probably more valuable than yours so I might need something extra with the deal. Just joshin... thanks again for the stamp... probably going to use it on my current project.

Darc

Simply beautiful Greg, you saddle makers always amaze me at the detail. Great work and thanks for sharing the pics.

Ken

now that is some fantastique workmanship and i love the way you have combined the stamps to make such an interesting pattern, Don

Holy Cow! That is great work Greg. I love the Geo mixed with the floral...you do a much better job of making it all come together and flow than I do. I really like the silver frog plate on the housings...that is first class.

Darcy I've already got a 3 heart King border stamp just like the one I got you so if you want my 4 heart your gonna have to come to my estate auction (don't book any flights yet).

Bruce in between the geometric stamps is a flower center I got from Don King 5 or 6 years ago. It was a prototype for an idea he had and as far as I know it is the only one he made. Don made the geometric I used on this saddle as well. The breast collar dee and rope strap buckle tab are the same piece of leather. The rope strap buckle just has a hook on the back like a belt buckle. The weight of your rope keeps it tight and you just have to pull down on the tail of the strap to undo it. Works real slick. Greg

Greg;

That saddle is absolutly top shelf. Good work, your lines are balanced, the aligator is awsome, and one great job with the carving. I like how you did the inskirt riggin(I may have to pick your brain a little on that some day)

Good wook

Holy cow that is nice. I hope you plan on showing that at some competitions.

Hey Greg, I see you are still making some good looking rigs.. I just signed up to this forum tonight and saw your saddle. I may have to get you to send me some alligator skin...it is hard to get up here.

Andy

Andy welcome on board. You will have to make your own arrangements to get gator into Canada. It can be done but there is a lot of red tape involved. My suggestion would be to get it shipped to somewhere in Washington and then pick it up yourself and forget to declare it at the border, kind of risky but it sure is nice stuff to work with. A belly just wide enough for the inlay will usually give you a set of rolls as well and run you from $375.00 and up. Good to hear from you. Greg

Greg, Absolutely Fantastic!! I can't think of anything else to say that would do justice!

Vaya Con Dios, Alan Bell

For the battle will be hotter and you won't get no supper!
Bob Marley - Natty Dread

GREG THE SADDLE IS ASWUM.. THE OWNER WILL BE PROUD..

Now for the small detail.... Tell us about that Saddle stand.

I think i have it figured out, but would like you to tell us about it :thumbsup::thumbsup:

OK, I have that "I'm not worthy" kinda feeeling. Thanks for that, Greg. But seriously, with materials like that alligator, there sure can't be any do-overs, huh? I was drooling over the exotics vendors at Wichita Falls and reeling at the prices, but that crock has such a nice feel to it. Sure got the creative juices flowing.

Thanks for the inspirational presentation!

Go2Tex A gator belly wide enough to do the inlay will run 375 to 400 so your right, it could hurt the pocket book if a guy were to messup. Thanks for the comments Greg

Greg,

Good to see you are still doing great work. I joined this forum tonight. Thanks to Bruce Johnson.

Ryan Cope

Edited by RyanCope

Greg,

WOW! I have just been getting around to admiring the saddles on the Saddle Section of the forum. The WHOLE geometric/floral execution is top notch...all the way through horn-fork, jockeys, fenders, seat, cheyenne roll and even the flank cinch. Carved details are all the way down to the twist on the stirrup leather.... The alligator is over the top. Whew! The silver work is great as well and just enough to complement the saddle in an almost understated way. The rawhide rings and stitching on the fork cover looks great as well.

Yes please share some details, pictures, measurements and such on the stand if you wouldn't mind.

Regards,

Ben