savage_here

Quick Question About Waxing Nylon Thread

If using 346 thread for hand-stitching, and buying nylon, which would hold wax better if waxing yourself, bonded or soft? I'm assuming soft, but don't have any experience.

I got some ARCO "Nylon Waxed Hand Sewing" 5 cord thread and it tends to "bunch" when pullng tight. In other words, it sort of sticks on the awl hole and, in effect, untwists and bunches up. Really annoying.

I'm trying to avoid this type of problem with the next thread I buy and will probably just end up waxing it myself. Any tips/tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Savage

I guess I have never used soft nylon. If I am handsewing something I need a sticky thread for I mostly use the bonded poly I use in my machines and run it over the beeswax. Otherwise I buy the coarser handsewing thread on the spool from Weaver. I haven't had the problem of it untwisting or unraveling and bunching unless I cut a strand with an awl.

Thanks for the reply Bruce. Yeah, that's what was weird about this handstitching bonded thread. It wasn't cut or anything, just seemed so loose that it bunched just from pulling it tight.

Maybe I can get a sample of each and try to wax them to see which is best.

Do you do anything special with the bonded when you need to wax it?

Scot

Try working the wax into the thread more. Burnish it into the thread with a piece of chap leather getting it hotenough to melt into the thread.

Keith

Thanks for the reply Bruce. Yeah, that's what was weird about this handstitching bonded thread. It wasn't cut or anything, just seemed so loose that it bunched just from pulling it tight.

Maybe I can get a sample of each and try to wax them to see which is best.

Do you do anything special with the bonded when you need to wax it?

Scot

Dear Scott

The problem you are having is when the thread unravels as you sew and tries to twist on each strand, hey presto a Birds Nest.

The unraveling is usually caused by using Lefthand, Reverse (Z) twist thread when hand sewig. It is best to use a Righthand twist (S) . The unraveling is caused by the action of Stitching causing the thread to undo as the stitching proceeds. S is the natural Right hand twist to use as it actually tightens up as you stitch. The other 2 options are to make your threads on the Knee with Linen Hemp and wax them or use Waxed Braided Thread.

I have been biting my Tongue for quite a while when I see various contributions recomending ready made threads. There has been no mention of Twist, which is the key to very good stitching that looks even, without some patches looking unraveled.

A lot of years ago I was asked to advise a Football Facory as to why the Stitchers were having problems with their hand made threads coming unravelled. After a lot of looking at the Stitchers working I decided that there was no problem there. So I looked to the Man who made the Threads. Suddenly it was very clear what the problem was. He was left handed and was making on his left. I made 6 threads on my right and gave them to the Stitchers to try. Very quickly I was a Hero as the problem ceased. Thread maker was promoted to Clicker and a Right Handed Lady was selected to make the Threads. Problem solved! Also the Tapers were much better for threading needles as the natural lay of the hemp allows for it to be unravelled with the right hand.

I have used Polished Linen (Hayes Sea Patrick Gold) in Z twist for sewing very fine bridles many years ago, but each splice used a new length of thread was used. Not practical!

I hope this of use to you.

Kindest Regards.

Jim.

Dear Scott

The problem you are having is when the thread unravels as you sew and tries to twist on each strand, hey presto a Birds Nest.

The unraveling is usually caused by using Lefthand, Reverse (Z) twist thread when hand sewig. It is best to use a Righthand twist (S) . The unraveling is caused by the action of Stitching causing the thread to undo as the stitching proceeds. S is the natural Right hand twist to use as it actually tightens up as you stitch. The other 2 options are to make your threads on the Knee with Linen Hemp and wax them or use Waxed Braided Thread.

I have been biting my Tongue for quite a while when I see various contributions recomending ready made threads. There has been no mention of Twist, which is the key to very good stitching that looks even, without some patches looking unraveled.

A lot of years ago I was asked to advise a Football Facory as to why the Stitchers were having problems with their hand made threads coming unravelled. After a lot of looking at the Stitchers working I decided that there was no problem there. So I looked to the Man who made the Threads. Suddenly it was very clear what the problem was. He was left handed and was making on his left. I made 6 threads on my right and gave them to the Stitchers to try. Very quickly I was a Hero as the problem ceased. Thread maker was promoted to Clicker and a Right Handed Lady was selected to make the Threads. Problem solved! Also the Tapers were much better for threading needles as the natural lay of the hemp allows for it to be unravelled with the right hand.

I have used Polished Linen (Hayes Sea Patrick Gold) in Z twist for sewing very fine bridles many years ago, but each splice used a new length of thread was used. Not practical!

I hope this of use to you.

Kindest Regards.

Jim.

Jim-

Just looked at the handstitching thread that I was having the problem with and you are exactly correct. It's the opposite twist of all the other thread that I use and like.

I will make sure from here on out to get the correct twist.

Thanks a million for the tip.

Best regards,

Scot