Sign in to follow this  
goldpony

Replacing Seat Jockey (S)

Hello to all who have been following my custom saddle woes - Saddlemaker Warranty, Seat Jockey Wrinkles, Gullet Width, and ? Cinch Placement.

As the saddle is only two months old, should I get the seat jockey(s) replace now by another saddlemaker? Unforturnately, I do not feel that C.E. Gessell of Black Horse Leatherworks & Saddlery will honor the warranty and repair the saddle. The leather is Wickett & Craig brown. I'm sure every dye lot will be slightly different in color, but the leathers might blend better now. I'm guessing this is a major repair as there is a padded inlaid seat. I also need to have a longer back cinch made (can send the original that is too short). Can somone give me a rough estimate of cost and timeframe? One good thing, there is no tooling/carving on this part of the saddle.

post-14214-003720200 1289233634_thumb.jp

Replacing the seat is a major repair,You are looking at a day and half labor.My guess would be 600 labor and a material cost of about 200.If I were to do that,I would charge time plus materials.On repairs like this it is hard to give a price until you get done.The rear cinch should be around 80.This is just a appox. figer,some might do it for less and some would charge . Steve

Replacing the seat is a major repair,You are looking at a day and half labor.My guess would be 600 labor and a material cost of about 200.If I were to do that,I would charge time plus materials.On repairs like this it is hard to give a price until you get done.The rear cinch should be around 80.This is just a appox. figer,some might do it for less and some would charge . Steve

Thanks Steve. US$1,000 would have been my estimate. It's good to know a rough estimate. Do you stock the Wickett & Craig brown leather or is it a custom order? Cheri

Steve's pricing is right on.

My link these will show wickett and craig colours of skirting, Not sure which your saddle was made out of. The saddle maker will be able to tell you exactly which .

My gut feeling would be not to put another $1000,00 into that saddle. Is there a demand for this saddlemakers saddles.?? if so you may be better off selling it if you think the deficiencies are such that you can't use it. It may be just right for someone else. Just my thoughts.

Andy

Edited by AndyKnight

Steve's pricing is right on.

My link these will show wickett and craig colours of skirting, Not sure which your saddle was made out of. The saddle maker will be able to tell you exactly which .

My gut feeling would be not to put another $1000,00 into that saddle. Is there a demand for this saddlemakers saddles.?? if so you may be better off selling it if you think the deficiencies are such that you can't use it. It may be just right for someone else. Just my thoughts.

Andy

Hi Andy, The color is the middle one below "russet carving" and above "black skirting" in W&C Skirting Swatches. I paid US$4,000 for this custom saddle with a 14 1/2" seat and a tree made for a wide, short-back horse. Finding the right horse/rider combination might be a challenge. I realise I'm going to lose money either way. :(