yotebuster1200

Shopping List For First Saddle

Well I am trying to get things together to build my first saddle. I have not bought anything including instructions yet. I am sure I can find a complete list of components there but I thought I would see if I am on the right track. So here is what I have so far for a shopping list. I am sure I have missed some stuff and was hoping you could chime in and let me know of other things I would need.

Tree

2 Sides of Leather

Front and Rear Rigging

Conchos

Sheep Skin

Stirrup Adjusters

Saddle Screws

Tacks

D-Rings for Breast Collar, cruper

Leather Conchos

Latigo and Cinch Carrier

Like I said I am sure there is more So if you could help me out on what I missed I would appreciate it

Thanks Scott

Well I am trying to get things together to build my first saddle. I have not bought anything including instructions yet. I am sure I can find a complete list of components there but I thought I would see if I am on the right track. So here is what I have so far for a shopping list. I am sure I have missed some stuff and was hoping you could chime in and let me know of other things I would need.

Tree

2 Sides of Leather

Front and Rear Rigging

Conchos

Sheep Skin

Stirrup Adjusters

Saddle Screws

Tacks

Leather Conchos

Latigo and Cinch Carrier

Like I said I am sure there is more So if you could help me out on what I missed I would appreciate it

Thanks Scott

Hi Scott,

Before you start your grocery list I think you should do your research first. Check in the Saddle Reference Books and DVD's and invest in some of these references first. Study them over and over. It is not as easy as it looks. It is definitely more involved. I have alot of books and Dvd's i have studied and then ended up going to a saddle making school but that does not make me a 'Saddle Maker' by any means. You earn that title by years of experience and mistakes. I do not know how long you have been doing leather but even if you have repairing saddles it is still different. Buying a good tree, building a good ground seat, swells , cantle, etc....

the list goes on....along with your grocery list. I am definitely not here to discourage you but to encourage you in being prepared. Read and study different resources...everyone will do it a little different but end up with the same result. You will learn which way suites you best. Good luck with your saddle...making your first is definitely the biggest thrill!!!

Take care,

Sandy Robbins

You might need some saddle strings ,rear cinch buckles,latigos ,front cinch,glue,liners for your billets and rear cinch.

Steve

Hi Scott,

Before you start your grocery list I think you should do your research first. Check in the Saddle Reference Books and DVD's and invest in some of these references first. Study them over and over. It is not as easy as it looks. It is definitely more involved. I have alot of books and Dvd's i have studied and then ended up going to a saddle making school but that does not make me a 'Saddle Maker' by any means. You earn that title by years of experience and mistakes. I do not know how long you have been doing leather but even if you have repairing saddles it is still different. Buying a good tree, building a good ground seat, swells , cantle, etc....

the list goes on....along with your grocery list. I am definitely not here to discourage you but to encourage you in being prepared. Read and study different resources...everyone will do it a little different but end up with the same result. You will learn which way suites you best. Good luck with your saddle...making your first is definitely the biggest thrill!!!

Take care,

Sandy Robbins

Dont worry, your post doesn't discourage me at all. I agree with everything you have said. I should have put the jeremiah watt DVD's and the al stohlman books because that is for sure the first things on my list. At this time I am just trying to come up with a list of what I need Including the dvd's and Books. With this list i can come up with a estimated price. And then I can start working on the wife. (trying to get the funding) I would consider myself a fairly skilled leatherworker. I am pretty sure with the help of a couple saddle smiths that have offered there help and the books / dvds I will be able to build a saddle.

Thanks Again Scott

Steve, Thanks I will add it to my list

Edited by yotebuster1200

Dont worry, your post doesn't discourage me at all. I agree with everything you have said. I should have put the jeremiah watt DVD's and the al stohlman books because that is for sure the first things on my list. At this time I am just trying to come up with a list of what I need Including the dvd's and Books. With this list i can come up with a estimated price. And then I can start working on the wife. (trying to get the funding) I would consider myself a fairly skilled leatherworker. I am pretty sure with the help of a couple saddle smiths that have offered there help and the books / dvds I will be able to build a saddle.

Thanks Again Scott

Steve, Thanks I will add it to my list

I am glad you aren't discouraged. I think i have every saddle making dvd and book made. Let me say there are very few i don't have I guess i am a leather info junkie. Jeremiah Watts dvd is great but if you are on a budget may i suggest first the Stohlmans books, Harry Adams manual (this is what my teacher used alot because when it was over my mind was so full i needed something to refer back to) Bruce Cheneys dvds...then go for the more expensive ones like Dale Harwood and Jeremiah Watts....these are all great resources. This is just a few i have in my collection. Enjoy the ride and may god bless.

Sandy

Edited by Sandy Robbins

I am glad you aren't discouraged. I think i have every saddle making dvd and book made. Let me say there are very few i don't have I guess i am a leather info junkie. Jeremiah Watts dvd is great but if you are on a budget may i suggest first the Stohlmans books, Harry Adams manual (this is what my teacher used alot because when it was over my mind was so full i needed something to refer back to) Bruce Cheneys dvds...then go for the more expensive ones like Dale Harwood and Jeremiah Watts....these are all great resources. This is just a few i have in my collection. Enjoy the ride and may god bless.

Sandy

The only reason I was planning on the Jeremiah Watts DVD's is because from the searches I have done on this forum and research I have done I have thought they were supposed to be one of the best dvd sets for the beginning saddle builder. Just in the way he explains things. In your opinion would you say that they are one of the best DVD's or do you think there is another better choice (leaving price aside). I guess I have a different mindset. Yes I would say I am budget minded. But I always try to do my research before buying and to only buy once.

I would agree with the Stohlman and Harry Adams books as pretty much a given. Bill Gomer's DVD is pretty good, but Jeremiah Watt's is more complete with more "Here's why you do this" along with the "Here's how you do this". Dale Harwood's DVD is very good, but assumes experience already.

One thing I would add to your list of materials is at least another side of skirting. You will get into it.

I would agree with the Stohlman and Harry Adams books as pretty much a given. Bill Gomer's DVD is pretty good, but Jeremiah Watt's is more complete with more "Here's why you do this" along with the "Here's how you do this". Dale Harwood's DVD is very good, but assumes experience already.

One thing I would add to your list of materials is at least another side of skirting. You will get into it.

Thanks for the info. as far as skirting, do you figure about 2 1/2 sides per saddle then. (I am sure I will have to do some of the pieces more than once because of screw ups anyhow)

I like the fact that Jeremiah Watt's DVD's tell they why because I feel that when I learn that way I am better of at figuring things out on my own down the road, because he helps you understand instead of just telling you what to do. If they are the best than that is what I would like to start out with.

Thanks again Scott

Where can I find the Harry Adams books and the Bill Gomer DVD's?

Is this the Harry Adams Book you were referring to? http://saddlemakersshopmanual.info/Home.html

Edited by yotebuster1200

Scott,

I do figure 2-1/2 sides per saddle, and that allows for things like a breast collar too. I can usually find some fillers and ground seat pieces in the scrap bin and use two sides. That figurees into two sides plus some. For a guy without the scrap bin, you probably will need to start with three sides and generate your own.

The Bill Gomer DVDs are sold by Hidecrafter and Weavers. I am not sure if Bill sells them directly. Harry Adams book is sold by his daughter. One of them was selling it for a while, and I think I read that now his other daughter took that over. Here's a link I just found -Harry Adams Book .

Tree

2 Sides of Leather

Front and Rear Rigging

Conchos

Sheep Skin

Stirrup Adjusters

Saddle Screws

Tacks

Leather Conchos

Latigo and Cinch Carrier

Thanks Scott

Scott,

I finished my first saddle today. I made some mistakes even using the 'Dusty Johnson' DVD and book. You have come to the right place to start. I just joined today, and wish I had done it sooner.

I used most of 3 skirting sides, using the scrap for fillers on the skirts. Good cement and pure Neetsfoot oil seem to dissappear quickly.

Rick

Scott,

I finished my first saddle today. I made some mistakes even using the 'Dusty Johnson' DVD and book. You have come to the right place to start. I just joined today, and wish I had done it sooner.

I used most of 3 skirting sides, using the scrap for fillers on the skirts. Good cement and pure Neetsfoot oil seem to dissappear quickly.

Rick

Thanks for the tips. I didnt even think about cement or oil. I have oil and cement but not near enough for this project I am sure.

Thank again Scott

I have been watching this forum for over a year and just that alone I have learned plenty.

And welcome to the site. If you are anything like me you will loose yourself in the different forums. Plenty to learn

Edited by yotebuster1200