Toolerlass

Another Newbie From England

Hi Everyone,

I got into leather 3 months ago (i have no idea how it happened) and became immediately addicted. I've been arty and made things for as long as I can remember but nothing has caused instant addiction like leatherworking has!

I've made a few cuffs, pouches, a bag, wallet, corset belts, holster, and had a few goes at tooling. Trying to learn a new skill with each thing i make.

Its been a drawn out process so far as each project has been delayed while aquiring whichever tool was necessary to finish :-) after learning whatever the tool was called.

I started out with zero knowledge and made things by guesswork but now i'm trying to learn correctly.

Absolutely love it! Dont think my neighbours do though! :-/

Hi Toolerlass. I can relate. I'm in the same boat. There's so much stuff to buy in the beginning but it is so satisfying to hold something in your hand that you have made.

Its so expensive starting out yet i can't stop myself :-) i made a wallet... Dunno why i have a feeling it'll be constantly empty :-)

Toolerlass,

Little by little you'll get all the tools you need, what's up with your neighbors, maybe giving them a belt or wallet will solve the conflict....

But then again some neighbors don't deserve more than a Hi and Bye. Take care!

Ralph

I can only hammer when the buildings empty. Buying a granite slab helped a bit but its still really noisy. I'm going for a poundo board next. I try to do the quiet bits like drawing, cutting and sewing when neighbours are home and then punching or tooling when theyre all out. Its a pain in the arse but i'd hate to live below someone hammering constantly :-)

Welcome Toolerlass from Australia.Im heading over to your part of the world in January(lucky me).Yes it is addictive as from thinking,"I need a hobby" to 4 sewing machines,skiver,mechanical press and about 4 hundred assorted stamps tools etc and now spreading into two rooms and the garage.But it is great fun and keeps the mind busy.All the best with your hobby.

Hi silverback, can we swap? I spent a few months travelling australia top to bottom when i was younger and have missed the place ever since :-(

I will let you know after freezing my butt off coming from the middle of summer here 40+c to your -2winter there.hehe.

Hahaha, fair enough :-)

Hi, welcome from Scotland!

Regarding the noise issue... I've found that using one of those dinner trays with a bean bag attached to the bottom of it really helps. A big chunky slab of granite on top of it, and you have a laptop board!

It just seems to absorb the impact and reduce noise.

Edited by humperdingle

Hiya, i'm not far from scotland :-) thats something i haven't tried yet! I was first using the tray with beanbag thing to begin with but found i couldn't get a decent 'whack' on it like when hitting on a table. I love using the granite slab but haven't tried the two together. Thanks! I'll give it a try :-)

Welcome Toolerlass from another addicted Brit!

Enjoy the learning... I don't think the learning ever ends with leatherwork as there are so many things to try and create.

Regarding neighbours, the only thing I can suggest if you have problems and decide to do alot of it is to get a ratcheting arbour press(big as possible and not cheap) but you can use that to quietly push large punches through leather and press stamps etc.

Have fun and post some of your projects on here....you will get lots of helpful advice from some very experienced leatherworkers from around the world.

All the best

Bigfoot

Thanks so much for the lovely replies. I'll add some pics tonight though i'm not sure of the correct place to put them whether its the gallery or critique section. Its a bit embarrassing adding beginners pics when the stuff on here is outstanding lol.

Thanks for the info on the arbour press Bigfoot. Do they need altering to make them accept hammering tools? I couldnt face starting again buying special tools for it. Looks great though!

Sorry for the slow reply..I am rubbish at keeping up communications.

The press I use has a wheel on the side so you can move it quickly for small adjustments...I wouldn't recommend one without it.

If by hammering tools you mean crew punches and strap ends etc you can just put them under and press them through silently but you could also get someone to drill a hole to take the handle of a Tandy type handle and them it can be used for punching small holes, lacing or whatever you need....and all in silence!