waddy

Source For Linen Webbing?

I am trying to find some genuine linen webbing to use in making razor strops. I am aware that most of the razor strops now available are made with synthetic webbing (in addition to the leather, of course), but my clients want the old linen webbing. I am trying to find 2 1/2 inch wide webbing available in small quantities, by the foot, not by the roll, which I could never use up. Anyone know of a source?

I too was looking for linen webbing for razor strops. I searched for a while, and couldn't even find it by the roll in 2 1/2 and 3 inch widths. Even canvas webbing is difficult to find in those widths, and in a proper thickness for strops. I've given up looking, at least temporarily.

Paul

In the fun and concept of handcrafted would it be possible to get a roll of linen thread and weave a strop?

How is cotton webbing different from "linen" webbing?

Cotton webbing is much softer than good linen webbing and does not provide as good a stropping action as the linen does. Also, for a person wanting authenticity, the difference is readily apparent. To "electrathon", I'm definitely not into that much "fun"!!! :no:

Thank you Chuck Burrows. I apologize for the delay in thanking you. The way the thread was going I quit checking it for awhile. The sites look very interesting, going to give them a try. Thanks again.

I looked at those websites early on in my search. It doesn't appear they have any linen in 2.5 and 3 inch widths. I did buy some 3 inch herringbone pattern hemp webbing from a supplier. I've used it on my own razor, but I wouldn't make a strop to sell out of it. It's very fuzzy, and not quite tightly woven enough.

Paul

This is what I use. http://www.rawganique.com/Dept-Hemp-Accessories/organic-hemp-webbing.htm. It's a hemp linen, made in Europe. They have it in a webbing and a herring bone pattern, in 2 and 3 inch widths. They sell it in either 50 yard rolls or by the foot. The by the foot price is very high, but it might be a good way to see what you are purchasing.