SouthernCross

Any Styles Other Than Floral & Sheridan?

Are there any styles of decorative carving that don't look like the traditional floral or Sheridan styles? I'm just looking for something "different" than the same ol' style that you typically see on almost every piece if leather.

There are several, Basket Weaves, Celtic Crosses and Designs, Oak Leaves and Acorns, Grapes and Grape vines, and pictoral carving just to name a few. Just about anything you can imagine or trace from a line drawing can be carved on leather items, animals, landscapes, sports scenes, etc.

I'm sure some others will have other ideas.

Chief

That stuff you "typically" see is because leather tooling grew up in the western world. There are LOTS of us who tool all kinds of things in leather. Some are awesome at pictorial and figure carving (which there is another sub-forum for), others prefer a more tattoo oriented approach. It's really whatever you enjoy and want to pursue. But, don't discount those western/floral carving lessons!! One thing I hear from a lot of people I send this way is "that place can't help me, it's only western and cowboy gear." That's a single minded way of looking at a lot of the lessons. What's floral carving made up of? Long, elegant lines, small curves, modeling, beveling, backgrounding, etc.... What are other styles of work made up of? See above. People focus on the subject matter of a lesson or piece instead of the technique involved that spans across all subjects. So, keep your yes open, study it all, and find your own niche for the kind of work you want to do :)

Look at the many works of Al Stohlman and Peter Main does some unusual things (from Tandy libraries) and then you can find some of the old Southern Asian Steppes stuff on this forum. I think that all cultures who have had any connection with horses or other animals (and that is most) have used and decorated leather, but having said all this I think that you will be hard pressed to find anything more developed and appealing than today's stylized (not realistic) floral designs that are being carried to their greatest heights yet by this current collection of western craftsmen.

Add to all this the traditional acanthus style. I have seen some rather good portraiture (human and animal) and scenic type carving on saddles. Combination of styles (acanthus and floral) can also be quite interesting. Then you get to motorcycle seats where anything goes. Some of the "rock carvings" by the old masters (leather) are quite intriguing and sexually hilarious.

Art

You are also seeing a lot of the traditional western floral toolers migrate towards the scroll work used by engravers. They have used scrolls similar to the vive work in western floral, for many years, and it does create some very different effects.

Bob

Thanks for the responses, gentlemen. I'm just looking for something classy and appealing without looking so "western". I'm just tired of the western look because it reminds me totally of horses, tack, and ......well, western.

Thanks for the responses, gentlemen. I'm just looking for something classy and appealing without looking so "western".

Well, then just find a design you like and go for it. You can look up graver stencils for some cool stuff, or airbrush stencils, or anything else.

A lot of times when I'm struggling with inspiration I'll pull up stock photo sites and see what triggers something. One I use a lot is shutterstock.com.

There's a member here who specializes in baroque designs, you can see the style here: http://www.rbn.kz/gallery.php?gallery=leather

If it interests you he does offer his sketch book for purchase... http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=48079&hl=baroque

cj- Thank you for posting this link to the russian baroque page(s). Amazing work shown there. I love the Sheridan and traditional Western style but these are flat out awesome.

Happy to. I love the style he uses. I think the next big carving project I try will be along his lines.

Also, look at some of the older wall paper designs. Around the time of World War II there were some very ornate wall papers being used. Funny that they almost all had vines, flowers and leaves woven together but somehow did not have that western look to them??

I went to show the page of Baroque carvings to my wife- and it's gone. I sure hope it comes back online..

A lot of art nouveau designs translate well to leathertooling. Still floral yet decidedly non western.

I think a lot of Art Deco designs could be of interest for someone who doesn't want to go the floral or western way.

Many of them are composed of abstract geometrical patterns and are really appealing and elegant.

(edited a missing word...)

Edited by Avgvstvs