Sign in to follow this  
5shot

Critique This Flower...please

I was hoping any of you with some experience can give me a little input on this flower. I am trying to learn Sheridan Carving (just because) and I have "Sheridan Style Carving" and have seen every video I could find on Youtube. Still missing a few sizes of Thumbprints, Flower Centers and I need a Center Shader. This flower is about 2" across, and on something this size I still need to work on my Swivel Knife work, as I occasionally nick the inside edge of a tight curve (you can see a spot at about 7:00 on the flower.

An constructive help is greatly appreciated.

12602934155_65b7f80bdd_c.jpg

It looks good. One of newest things that I am seeing out there is the smooth texture around the seed pod. Just remember to keep your tooling unique to your way of tooling. You can study all the books and videos and see what others are doing, but take a little here and a little there. Trying using different tools. I would work on your swivel knife cuts and beveling. You need to concentrate on fading your cuts like those that come into the seed pod. Your beveling should mimic your cuts meaning they should fade from a hard pounding to a light pounding. Finally, work on walking your thumbprint from heavy at the back pedal and fade towards the pod.

Keep up the good work!