Sign in to follow this  
Toolingaround

Crafttool Pro Stamp Beveler Question

Hi All

I am thinking of taking advantage of the tandy open house sale. I want to get a steep pro beveler but can't tell if they are checkered or not. Any one know??

If it is smooth I will try to make my own cause cash is tight but I can't do checkering.

Thanks eh

Toolingaround

They are checkered, but they are not steep. I had to recut and make them steeper after purchasing them during the last sale. I did pick up three of thumbprints yesterday and grounded off the lines. I am actually going to checker them. I did post my project of the bevelers on my leather blog, if you are interested. Good luck

They are checkered, but they are not steep. I had to recut and make them steeper after purchasing them during the last sale. I did pick up three of thumbprints yesterday and grounded off the lines. I am actually going to checker them. I did post my project of the bevelers on my leather blog, if you are interested. Good luck

Oh thank you SO much for getting back to me! I will check out your blog :-) I want something steep for the itty bitty things I often make.

Cheers, Toolingaround

I did check out the tool project on your blog...and some of the others.

Perhaps you could clear up a few points for me, and others. What is the differance between the angle of the tool faces between the Craftool Pro stamps and Barry King bevelers?

What size of checkering file did you use? Was the checkering the same size as the original Craftool, or did you change that also?

I will try Wyo. At best guess, the Craftool is approximately 15-20 degrees......probably more like 18-20, but I am guesstimating. I had a custom beveler made for me at 22 degrees for border areas on inverted bevels. I really like using this because it does not flatten it like my Craftools. The Barry King bevelers are used for tight areas like Sheridan work and I would guesstimate that it is around 30-32 degrees, which will give you a steep bevel.

As for my project on the blog regarding the Craftool Pro bevelers. I needed some steep smooth bevelers....I had one option at the time. I could purchase them from Barry King as I do with most of my tools. I was going to place my order when I saw the 50% discount on the Craftool Pro 'checkered' bevelers. Now, I had an second option at half of Barry King's price. I knew it was going to be a bit of work so I asked a friend for help. They work great.

The same thing was of interest with the current project thumbprints. I had seen a fellow leather worker with Hackbarth checkered shaders. The checkering was really light, but they left a good impression after antiquing. That is what I am going to attempt in the latest project. I took my 800 grit sander last night and removed the vertical lines off of the thumbprints and polished them up. I haven't decided what checkering I will do whether it will be light, medium or heavy.

Hope this helps.

I see that the internet page describes them as "steep-angle" bevelers, so I was just wondering how steep they were.

A bit of trivia for you. Craftool made steep angle bevelers in the later 1950's which were like the regular bevelers except they had steeper angles. They were available only to members of the "Doodlers Club" ? and were identified by a "s" after the number. See comparison photos below.

Ray Hackbarth may have also made steep angle bevelers since I do have one Hackbarth like that. I am not sure he made it that way........ because it is also possible that a previous owner modified it much like you are doing with the Pro stamps.

Hi King's X

Your blog is awesome!!! Thank you again for the detailed info. Not sure if I will bite the bullet and get them this sale or torture a few more nails to make little bevelers for now.

Hi WyomingSlick

Those old bevelers are really cool! I love my few ancient craft tools. If I wanted to enquire about buying an old craft tool can I private message you?

Cheers and thanks again,

Toolingaround

I saw a Bob Beard class on-line the other week, he said if you tip the beveller forwards it works much the same as a steeper angled beveller

I saw a Bob Beard class on-line the other week, he said if you tip the beveller forwards it works much the same as a steeper angled beveller

Sure it does. Sheridan work is not the only type of floral work that has cuts close together, but it does have a lot of them. I grew up learning to tip my beveler in such situations and never heard of, nor needed steeper angled bevelers. But.......If you do a lot of sheridan type work, then the steeper bevelers are a worthwhile investment. Most leather stamps can be used at differant angles for differant results. Cliff Ketchum on his old Doodle pages displays great artistry in his use of stamps in differant ways.

Wyoming S.....I always found your information on the Craftool very interesting. I can remember when you joined and posted some of your first information. thank you very much. I believe I may have a set of 'S' tools. I recently acquired double and single digit tools that appears like some beginner set. almost like the basic 7 except this one has one bargrounder. I will have to post a picture soon.

Thanks again!

Hi Jax

Thanks good tip!

I do that too but I am having problems when I am doing itty bitty things like small sheaths or eye patches. It is hard not to get accidental tool marks where they don't belong, not impossible just hard. I have not tried Sheridan style yet although I would love to. Some of the bevelers, and other Sheridan style tools look peachy and I LOVE lifters! I made myself some out of dollar store screw drivers. When there is a will there is a way :-)

Cheers, Toolingaround

Hi Jax

Thanks good tip!

I do that too but I am having problems when I am doing itty bitty things like small sheaths or eye patches. It is hard not to get accidental tool marks where they don't belong, not impossible just hard. I have not tried Sheridan style yet although I would love to. Some of the bevelers, and other Sheridan style tools look peachy and I LOVE lifters! I made myself some out of dollar store screw drivers. When there is a will there is a way :-)

Cheers, Toolingaround

For doing small detailed work, you might think about getting some kind of magnification set-up. I use magnification from time to time and it really helps to get the BIG PICTURE of small details !

For doing small detailed work, you might think about getting some kind of magnification set-up. I use magnification from time to time and it really helps to get the BIG PICTURE of small details !

Hi WyomingSlick

Timely suggestion! My father in law's friend just gave me an opti-visor. I love it and pushing 50 I NEED it LOL.

Cheers, Toolingaround