Colt W Knight

Recent Padfolios - New Sewing Machine!

Just picked up a real deal leather sewing machine - SO HAPPY ABOUT THIS. It makes projects so much fun without having to worry about all the hand stitching.

Anyhow, here are few padfolios I just completed. The one with the cow and newborn calf was my first go at using the new sewing machine. I had one hickup, and unfortunately, it was at the bottom of the cover. The other padfolio I had a bear of a time finishing. First, I spilled dye where it should not have been, then I had my clear coat melt into my work bench ( lacquer and enamel don't mix). Anyway, decided to pain it to see if I could save the work.

padfolio1_zps9b679507.jpg

padfolio2_zpscc081e8e.jpg

padfolio3_zps04abce26.jpg

padfolio4_zpsbcbaf6be.jpg

padfolio5_zps8d614e46.jpg

padfolio6_zps6e350280.jpg

Excellent. I would love to have a sewing machine capable of sewing leather.

Chris

Nice work, really. Cheryl

Thans yall.

I watched the local ads for 6 months and nothing suitable/affordable came up used. I decided to save for a new one, and when I was ready to buy, I had to use my sewing machine fund to pay for some life happens stuff. Luckily, the same week, a really nice consew 206rb popped up on Craigslist for a really good price. I can see that I am going to be doing a lot more leather work now. I enjoy fabricating, tooling and painting, but I hated stitching and punching holes.

Edited by Colt W Knight

Know the feeling, Love my machines dearly and they make it soooooo much easier!!

Nice work you showing here !!

What's the thread? Can you get away with one size heavier in that machine? Like a #92? Or a 138 if you dont want to buy every size of thread.

I know it sounds like I'm just bein' an a**, but if your work didn't look worth commenting, then I wouldn't. I think you could really accent those size pads with one size bigger thread, and maybe one size bigger stitch length.

Not to be taken wrong, for a guy who just got the machine, I think you did quite well. Besides, I like to see the youngsters jump in -- only way ta learn!

That is the thread that came with the machine, it says #99 on the sticker. I sent a message to cowboy bob about ordering some 138 already.

I have room to open up the stitch length some more.

Edited by Colt W Knight

Might just be the size of the photos. Are those 11" pads? Oh, not meant to insult,but with the #138 thread, I assume Bob also recommended a larger needle?

Can you post a picture of your new sewing machine. I would like to see it.

Might just be the size of the photos. Are those 11" pads? Oh, not meant to insult,but with the #138 thread, I assume Bob also recommended a larger needle?

Just looked again, it says Z-99. I don't know what size that corresponds to because I am new to this.

My leather pads are 10.5" wide and 13" tall.

I have a package of the right size needles for the #138 thread.

From what I have read about the 206 machine, is that it can sew #207, but it works best with #138. The machine also had a big bobbin of #277 and some needles for that size thread, but everything I have read says that is too big for this machine. Although, I think that is what the previous owner used in it.

Here is a picture of the machine

20140830_140920_zpsmxpg5ybo.jpg

20140830_140932_zpsvnsvvg9d.jpg

Close up of stitches

DSC01416_edited-1_zps05e61934.jpg

Wow... Very nice sewing machine! I want one! ;-)

Thanks for sharing!

Congratulations on your new machine!!! Those folders look really nice. A machine has been non my wish list for quite a while and it looks like it will still be a while before I can purchase one. I'm happy for you.

Wow... Very nice sewing machine! I want one! ;-)

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks. I ran three layers of 8 ounce through it without any problems. That is more than I anticipate sewing, so this machine should be good for me for awhile. I do plan on getting a Cowboy or Cobra in the future, but that's probably a ways away.

Congratulations on your new machine!!! Those folders look really nice. A machine has been non my wish list for quite a while and it looks like it will still be a while before I can purchase one. I'm happy for you.

Thank you. I have problems with my hands, pain and tremors. I simply couldn't continue leather working if I had to hand sew.

Very cool. I like your tooling, too.

Very cool. I like your tooling, too.

Thank you Monica. I am a fan of your bags.

Edited by Colt W Knight

Thanks. I ran three layers of 8 ounce through it without any problems. That is more than I anticipate sewing, so this machine should be good for me for awhile. I do plan on getting a Cowboy or Cobra in the future, but that's probably a ways away.

Thank you. I have problems with my hands, pain and tremors. I simply couldn't continue leather working if I had to hand sew.

Because it CAN do 3 layers of 8 ounce does not mean it SHOULD do that :) That machine, that's absolutely the upper limit - and best to run about 60% of max capacity where you can help it.

And you're right.. the 277 spool is best set off to the side fer hand stitchin' ;)

Talked to Cowboy Bob today, and he is sending me some new thread,needles, and a servo motor. I picked up a few padfolio orders when I posted these pictures on facebook, so I hope to have some new stuff to show yall soon.