Sign in to follow this  
fhowk

Snaps Or Buckles. When To Use Them And Why.

Im torn between the two, snaps would be alot easier to make and would allow for more customization (extrapockets etc) on the front of a pouch or bag, but when do i use a buckle and when do i use a snap. What one will last longer?

My rule of thumb is use a buckle if there is any type of stress pulling on the strap, and snaps to keep it closed with out stress, But buckles can be used for decareation to.

Kind of depends on the bag you're making, but there's pros and cons to both. I keep snaps away from the exterior, if it's exposed on the outside of the bag, a snap might not keep the pocket closed if you brush up against something and the flap snags on something. Snap pockets inside, or under a larger messenger bag type flap are fine. Buckles are the sturdiest ways to keep things closed, but they're also the slowest to open. Also, keep in mind all your other hardware options - Magnetic catches, clasps, straps and 2 d-rings, plastic side squeeze buckles, etc.